Intermission

High above in a realm that is ours but not ours, a figure watches the world below.

It watches the Earth spin, the people walk, and blood spill.

It watches everything, all at once, at the same time.

"Valkkai," says a cold, scratchy voice to its left.

The figure does not turn to greet it's brother, because he is only a rush of cold air, an outline of a person, and if you look too hard at the outline, then it is no longer there.

"Irappu," says the figure in a voice that carries the strength of a fire.

Irappu follows his sister's line of sight and lets out a sigh.

"They are all so vapid, do you not agree?"

"You only think that, brother, because the living is not your duty," responds Valkkai primly.

Her brother laughs, and in it echoes the sounds of ice cracking and the whip of a frozen wind. Out of the corner of her eye, she sees him, and his form solidifies, so that the Master of Death and the Master of Life, brother and sister, now stand side-by-side.

"Viti would agree with me," Irappu says.

"That is because Viti is apathetic to our debates, as they are to most things, and agrees only to satiate your need to be correct."

A swathe of mist rises up on Valkkai's right side, followed by a bitter laugh that sounds like the burble of water over stones in a stream.

"Do you always speak of me so behind my back?" comes the voice of Viti like the hiss of water on hot rocks.

Irappu grins darkly. "Of course, my dear sibling. How else would we speak of Fate?"

The mist solidifies, and when Valkkai turns to look, the wavering outline is now another figure.

The third of The Ancient Ones has appeared, and now Life, Death, and Fate, the children of Mother Earth and Father Time, stand side by side as they watch the World.

"Like ants in an ant hill," says Irappu with disdain, "So very bland."

The other two are silent.

"Let us play a game."

Valkkai and Viti look at one another, and then at their brother.

"What game would I possibly wish to play with you?" asks Valkkai suspiciously.

"You will like it, dear sister," he coaxes.

"I will hear it," Viti cuts in placidly, "But that does not mean that I will chose to partake when you are finished."

"Of course, dear sibling."

Valkkai lets out a sigh, the crackle of fire ringing through it. "Very well, Irappu. Speak."

The brother raises his hand and points at the Earth below to the figure of a boy in an orchard.

"First," he begins in his scratchy voice, "Would you tell me what you See for this boy, Viti?"

Viti stares for a moment at the boy in the orchard, their face remaining still and emotionless as they speak. "Much death in his life I See. He will keep you busy, dear brother."

"His soul is... interesting, would you not agree?"

Viti stares at the boy harder, and so does Valkkai.

It was a bright soul, that was certain. Bright and bold and strong. It was unlike a mortal's soul, and so unlike the souls of other humans.

"It is as strong as those souls of the worldly incarnations," says Valkkai, "The ones possessed by those immortal personifications of land."