Chpt 11 - Tensions Raised

If it was possible for my heart to stop beating, then that is exactly what happened. My eyes widened as I simply stared at the old priest in front of me, who was now holding my pocket watch as he examined it closely. A dumbfounded expression was the only response he had from me for about six seconds, when it morphed into one that could not be mistaken for anything other than anger.

"I beg your pardon?" I growled lowly.

"This pocket watch," he tapped said object with his finger nonchalantly, "It's almost as unique as its predecessor."

How did he... ?

"That's none of your business," I snapped.

"Oh? In which case, I do apologise. I simply would have thought that you would have discussed this already with your friend here." Old Man Church gestured to Arthur.

"I haven't. It's none of his business, and it's none of yours."

"I see, I see."

He paused for a few moments. "You have quite the temper, don't you, Mr (L/N)?"

My eyes narrowed again. "Only when people ask stupid questions and waste my time."

"You never used to, from what I can tell," he continued as if I hadn't spoken, "In fact, back home, you were always very patient."

What was left of my patience was wearing very thin indeed. "If I remember correctly, old man, we are supposed to be questioning you, not the other way around. So either start talking, or I promise you that I will make you talk," I threatened.

"This watch here is a replacement. The loss of its predecessor devastated you, did it not?"

"That's none of your business, you fucking-"

"(Y/N)-" Arthur began, squeezing my knee again, but I cut him off by shooting up out of my seat and slamming my hands on the table. The force of it caused the teacups to jump into the air, spilling tea onto its surface.

Arthur visibly jerked, but the man opposite me didn't even twitch. He just raised his eyes up from the watch and studied me calmly. I don't know why, but it irked me even more.

"Give it back," I demanded, "Now."

His eyes stayed focused on me for a moment. They gleamed with some form of knowing, and it made my heart speed up. He knew things, personal, private things, and I didn't know how he did. All I knew was that I didn't want to talk about them.

"This one was a gift, like the last one-"

"Shut up and give it back!"

"-Except the last one was from someone momentously important to you-"

"I said SHUT UP!"

My voice roared through the small space as I snatched my pocket watch out of his hand, and I was certain that my expression was so thunderously furious that it would put Zeus in his worse mood to shame.

Complete silence descended on the three of us, my heavy breathing the only sound to be heard.

He's still smiling, still looking at me like he knows something, I hate it I hate it I hate it-

A hand on my shoulder caused me to jolt away.

"Don't touch me," I snarled to Arthur.

I was mildly surprised by how hurt he looked, and I was also mildly surprised by how bad it made me feel. Both of those feelings, however, were suffocated by my fury.

When he spoke to me, his voice was tentative; "(Y/N) why are you so-"

"You can finish speaking with him, if you like, but I'm leaving," I barked roughly, "I've had enough of wasting my time here."