• Dark Nights •

Chapter thirty-two: Dark Nights

"Why are you still awake?" Said a voice behind me

"Why are you still awake?" Said a voice behind me. I wiped the lone tears and turned to face the familiar man. "You should go back in, it's cold." The man muttered. Eyes gazing at my form.

I tightened the hold on my robe, and fully turn my body on him. "And why are you here? Awake?" I scrutinized. The man smiled.

"I slept too much this afternoon, I couldn't sleep now." He answered.

"Woo Shik." I muttered, testing the name in my lips.

Why does he look so familiar? Even his presence was familiar to me.
—Is what often asked myself since the morning he came here. I couldn't shake off the familiarity I was feeling whenever he's near. There was a hint of happiness whenever I'll see him. It's like an old friend was here to visit me after a long time of not seeing one another.

"Who are you?" I asked. "I never heard of you. I've met your father countless of times already. Excellency Choi visits the palace a lot before, and he never once mentioned anything related to having a son." I muttered. There was really something bothersome about his appearance.

The man's forehead slightly creased. But he was quick to compose himself and smile wider. "My father is the type to keep personal life out of his duty. It must be the reason why he never mentioned me to you when you met."

I am not convinced.

"Are you mothered by a Kisaeng?" I said without second thinking. The man was clearly taken aback by my vulgar words. "Or mothered by a Nobi?"

It took him awhile to say something, "Wha...What do you mean, Lady Hyun Ae?"

"Jimin said you were on his age. Twenty-two?" I shake my head, sighing. "Excellency Choi's wife died in an accident, thirty years ago. It's impossible for him to have a child with his wife, so I assume you are a child outside marriage." I muttered.

The man look away, "My mother was a slave, Lady Hyun Ae." He finally answered.

Now, I got the answer to the question that bothers me. But why can't I seem to let this matter go?

My gaze lowered, and I turn to look away. "Forgive my nosiness. I just have to make sure that the people we involve in our lives are clean, especially with all the things happening." I muttered.

I need to be wise in choosing the people that we will engage ourselves with. Especially now that I am powerless. When things go out of hand, we will have a hard time fighting back.

Jimin was exiled from his duty, that alone will bring him shame more than anything else, while me, my title right now was much more shameful than anyone else. A former Queen. A dethroned ruler.
A dark taint in my name.
No one will want to be ally on people like us. People that the palace thrown out.

I turn away from the man, hugging myself when the cold breeze hit my form. It was so cold tonight that winter season was nearing.
So cold and lonely.

I felt a fabric draped over my shoulder, giving me more warmth and comfort. My gaze immediately landing on the man standing beside me.

Choi Woo Shik gave me a small smile, before he look away, head high as he stared at the moon.
It was his robe. He gave his robe to me while he silently suffer because of the night's cold breeze.

"Isn't she beautiful?" He blurted, pertaining to the source of our light. My gaze turned to him, waiting for what he has to say.

I fix the fabric draped over me and follow his gaze. Staring at the bright moon above us. "I loved the moon. I've always loved it." A sigh left his lips, before his gaze lowered to the ground, and finally, turning to meet mine. "But she's unreachable. Too high for my little hands. And when I needed her the most, she abandoned me."

I am not a fool to know what he was actually trying to say. "You're pertaining on someone." I muttered. He chuckled, shaking his head and turning away.

"I had a friend before." He started, "She's funny. She somehow manage to make things lively. So carefree. I trusted her with all my life."

"Trust is hard to earn and you should be careful on whom you'll give it to." I muttered and he nod.

"I wish I've known that before." He said, sighing. He stared back up to the moon again, smiling softly, though his eyes were nothing but filled with silent rage. "I should've known it before—before betrayed me." I never saw someone so vulnerable yet strong looking. And I have no idea how I will react to that.
"The moon became so unreachable that she forgotten those who helped her up, and abandon those who trusted her." He added, teeth gritting for an unknown anger.

"You must've hated that person so much now." I said, earning his attention. He smiled at me, hiding the evident anger in his eyes. The hidden fire behind those dark orbs. Those familiar dark orbs.

I shake my head at the thought. I should forget about this weird intuition. I should not let his memories live in another man. He's dead, and this man is never related to him.

"Can I ask you something, Lady Hyun Ae?" Woo Shik said after some time. And I gently nod my head.
"Why were dethroned?"

"Out of all the things you could have asked, you really chose that one." I bitterly said, forcing out dry laughs.

Woo Shik look down and scratch his head, looking embarrassed. "I'm sorry. You don't have to answer it, Agassi."

No. I'll answer it. It's time I should face my reality.

"People in the palace conspired against me." I answered, looking away. Far as my vision could get. "They never really like me, so I can say I see it coming."

"Even the King?" He asked again.

And I soon felt the same pained throbbing of my chest at the mention of my King.

I did not answer.

•Kisaeng - women from outcast or slave families who were trained to be courtesans, providing artistic entertainment and conversation to men of upper class
•Nobi - members of the slave class during the Korean dynasties of Goryeo and Joseon

A/N: 20k!?!?!?!!?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS SKSKSHEHSJEHJWJSHS THANK YOU ❤️❤️❤️❤️