• Guilty •

Chapter seven: Guilty

The Queen can still remember the first time she saw her

The Queen can still remember the first time she saw her. A beautiful young woman. Maybe a bit older than the young ruler, but nonetheless, beautiful.

Her skin is pale, almost as white as snow. Her lashes were long, fluttering each time she were to look at something. Her nose were small but pointed. And her lips were naturally pink, reminding the young Queen of newly bloomed roses.

It must have been the sole reason why the new consort managed to get the young King's attention.

          The Queen was seventeen when she learned about the King making her a second-level third-rank consort. "He would send her robes of lilac and blue," one of her palace maids once said as she pour the Queen some tea. "With patterns of swallow flying across the sleeves, and flowers growing along the hem."
The Queen could only sighed.

The King never send her robes nor any gift.

She was only eighteen when she heard yet again another shocking news from her court ladies. A news that state how the young King yet again raise the new consort's position on the palace.

"He made her second-rank Consort. Still sending her robes made out of silk and linen. Embroiled with flowers." The court lady said, feeling a bit sympathetic with their Queen.

The Queen is yet again filled with envy.

The King still hasn't noticed her.

The Queen was nineteen when another palace lady told her about the King raising the consort to a higher position. The consort now being a first-rank Royal Consort. Just a step below the Queen's own title.
The Queen was to not believe the lady, only if she hadn't heard the other servants from the palace.

They hiss and mutter like serpents, unaware of the Queen standing outside the palace's kitchen. Listening through the wooden walls.

Her heart turns to stone when she heard what they have to say.

"Hui Bin, they must call her now...Her being the most favored consort! How fortunate of her to have the position just a rank below the Queen!"

The young Queen's heart has been broken by so many times that the feeling of pain wasn't foreign anymore. She still felt pain, but envy is stronger. And perhaps a hint of anger on what she can conclude.

The King would never notice her as long as that woman stays in the palace.

"Stand before us is the Queen of Joseon. Who was pleading not guilty for the crime her name was involved." Said one of the court men, reading a piece of yellowish parchment.

I said nothing when their eyes fall on me. Ignoring the hissing snakes on both sides.
As the King remained quiet in his seat, but his firm gazes are enough to say how displease he is to see me.