CHAPTER 16.

Chapter 16: Don't Tell Mom.

*

"Because brothers don't let each other wander in the dark alone."

-Jolene Perry-

*

Rabail Darwish set on the swiveling chair with her legs crossed over one another. She is a tall woman, about a height of 5'6 and she took pride in it by wearing stilettos. One of the said stilettos, a designer black velvet lay by her feet on the ground. She heaved a sigh and rubbed the back of her neck repeatedly, as if it were cramped. Which was exactly what it was.

Rabail had been working non-stop for the past week since she arrived. A knock at the door caught her attention and she placed her hand on the desk before calling the person in. She looked up to see Iravat Reza-Ibrahim entering the room with long strides. She took his appearance in with a small smile. His dark hair set neatly atop his head and his blue-gray eyes glinted with determination. And something else, she thought. He was dressed in blue washed jeans, a white t-shirt and a dark blue shirt atop the t-shirt with the buttons open. He looks good, she thought smugly.

"Rabail" Rabail snapped out from her reverie and looked up at him. He's grown taller since I last met him.

"Irav" she said, standing up. He sighed and stood there for a good minute or so, contemplating on what to say. Finally he spoke.

"We need to talk" he stated and Rabail raised an eyebrow in question. We do?

"We do" he stated firmly as if he were reading her mind. She sighed and took her seat before gesturing for him to sit. Iravat took a seat in front of her hesitantly.

"What is it?"

"Us" Rabail picked up a pencil lying on the desk in front of her and twirled it in her hands. Us, he says. Us.

"What about it?" she asked him, looking directly into his blue-gray eyes and he stared back as if she had two heads.

"You've got to be kidding me!" he muttered under his breath, breaking his gaze away from hers. She watched as hurt and other emotions flashed across his face making her heart constrict. I am so sorry.

"Irav, can we continue this when I am not busy?" she asked him, standing up again and he stood up too.

"Fine. Coffee with me tomorrow?" he asked her and she shook her head.

"Sorry, I am not caffeine probation" she replied and he ran his hand through his hair, messing it up. He looks good still.

"Then lunch" he stated and she stared at him, saying nothing. He raised an eyebrow at her and she smiled slightly. He knows how to crack my hard exteriors!

"Fine. Lunch. You better get me good food, Irav" she stated and he let out a laugh. She watched him laugh with satisfaction. Something about Iravat Reza-Ibrahim always made her happy and she did not know how to handle it. Not since he confessed so many years ago. And he has turned out to be a fine young man.

"Right. I'll pick you up tomorrow" he said and she nodded at him. He set there, staring at her for a while before he stood up and cleared his throat.

"Then I am leaving. Allah Hafiz" he said and she nodded at him, watching him leave. As soon as Iravat was out that door, Rabail heaved an audible sigh she did not know she was holding. She held her chest, breathing in and out slowly. Iravat's presence always left her breathless and she knew this way before he confessed. The truth being I am not good enough for him.