CHAPTER 10.

Chapter 10: Challenge? 

*

"Love is not mere impulse,

It must contain truth. 

Which is law"

-Rabindranath Tagore-

*

"Maha made these" Nasreen told Lila as she picked up the dish with lamb biryani in it. She smiled at Maha. Islah set opposite Yusra with a smirk. Apparently this little kid is the pampered only child. No wonder her antics are as such.

"Islah. Eat dearest! There is lasagna, I hear it is your favorite" said Maheen and Islah smiled uncertainly. I like it but not exactly my favorite.

The dinner table was wide and filled with a variety of dishes, from Shawarma to Lasagna to Lamb Biryani. It was all there. Upon seeing the variety of dishes; both vegetable and meat, Lila let out a chuckle.

"You should not have made so much!" she told Nasreen who waved her hand dismissively.

"You all came to our place for the first time. This is a must. It wasn't much trouble since Maha, here, is well versed with culinary and baking" Nasreen complimented her niece and Maha blushed slightly. Islah raised an eyebrow at Yusra. My woman doesn't cook? To which his mind replied; 'She isn't your woman, Islah.'

As dinner progressed, the mothers chatted about the different food and how it tasted nice. Lila complimented every dish she ate and Islah was sure there was something conspiratorial going on. My mother never kisses up to people. What's going on?

Islah's blue-gray eyes found its way back to the hijabi sitting in front of him. He smiled at her as he watched her eat. He felt his younger brother nudge his sides and turned to glare at him.

"Stop staring at her. You are making it obvious and its creepy" Iravat informed him. Islah rolled his eyes. So what if it's creepy, she is utterly beautiful!

"[..] right Islah?" his head snapped to Yusra's mother who was waiting expectantly for his answer. So umm what is it?

He looked over to Yusra who smirked at him. Help? Yusra let out a small chuckle before turning to her mother.

"I believe he doesn't have an opinion in this. After all, he doesn't seem like someone to know about culinary at all" Yusra replied, picking up her food with the fork. Iravat coughed while Islah smirked at her. He then turned to her mother, his face morphing into a smile.

"I apologize but opinion on what exactly?"

"Turkish delights" and that was when Yusra saw a whole new side of Islah Reza-Ibrahim. One who somehow knew about Turkish delights quite profoundly.

-

Dinner ended on a good note. The youth helped put away the dishes and it was Yusra's turn to wash up and clean the kitchen since the others cooked. So with a sigh, she set to work.

"All the dishes with food go on the counter, all the empty dishes and dirty utensils go in the left sink and the glassware go on the bench beside the sink" she called out to the boys and Maha.

"I'll help" Maha told Yusra who shook her head.

"It is okay. You cooked all day. Let me do it" Maha smiled and walked out. Once the table was cleared, Nasreen asked her daughter to clean up and bring tea to the living room. Yusra stood in the middle of the kitchen, staring at the mass of dishes and food lying around. Time to work, she told herself and began clearing up the place.