CHAPTER 9.

Chapter 9: Home.

*

"People say that eyes are windows to the soul"

-Khaled Hosseini-

*

"Islah. Are you headed to a funeral, Habibti?" his mother questioned him as they got off his black jeep. Iravat let out a low laugh and Islah rolled his eyes.

"No mama. This is how I usually dress" Islah told her and she rolled her eyes at him. What is so wrong about what I am wearing? He looked down at his outfit and frowned. He wore black jeans, a gray t-shirt and black and gray flannel atop it. Also a pair of white Nike air forces. If anything, I look good, he consoled himself as his mother stepped up.

Iravat held his hands up at Islah who frowned at him. His brother was wearing the almost the exact thing except in bright colors and his mother had absolutely no comments on it!

"Lila! As salaam alaikum!" Islah heard a woman with Arab Accent call out to his mother. His mother let out a chuckle, walking up the steps of the lavish house. Islah looked around the place and realized it was big enough to house a party. Maybe they even did that? It was even bigger than their house.

"Nasreen! Wa alaikum mus salaam!" Lila smiled at Nasreen who hugged her.

"So nice to have you all at my house tonight! Come in!" Well, this woman is over-excited to have us. Good I guess? Islah knew his mother had a hard time making friends and he was glad she had one friend who was Arab. Most of her friends, well three of whom he knew were Japanese, Korean and Welsh.

Lila turned to the boys who rushed up the stairs and stood beside her. Lila smiled.

"These are my boys, Islah and Iravat" she introduced them to Nasreen who grinned at the two.

"Such beautiful boys, Masha Allah. Let's head inside" Nasreen led them through the double mahogany doors. The door opened into a small space with coat hangers and show racks. Islah observed the place and his eyes fell on a familiar pair of white Nikes, much same to his. Nice. Someone in this house has good shoe taste.

They took off their shoes and placed it neatly beside the rack before following the host. Islah stepped into a large living room and he smiled. The place was lit up by ceiling lights and the interiors were very much modern.

"This is my husband, Dawud" Lila grinned at Dawud.

"Small word, Professor Abideen" she laughed lightly and Dawud did too.

"Small world, Professor Bashar" Islah watched his mother shake hands with Professor Abideen with a grin. He had gone through his classes too and Irav was in his class this semester.

"Ah Islah! Nice to see my genius student" he shook hands with Islah who nodded at him.

"As salaam alaikum, Professor Abideen." He said and Dawud replied attentively. He turned to Iravat who had his head hung low. Islah let out a small chuckle as Dawud tapped Iravat's head twice.

"How are you Iravat?" Iravat blushed bright at the professor's question.

"Good" Dawud laughed at Iravat's timid answer.

"Sit sit" By then. Dawud's sister, Maheen entered the living room. She greeted Lila with a hug and Islah watched with a grin as his mother struggled to get the woman off her. Maheen turned to the boys who bowed their heads respectfully.