I lifted my hands, more willing to display them to another Venom. "When I scratch someone, they die."

Each time I said the words, the truer they became. It was easier to accept that I had the power of life and death in my veins when I was surrounded by people of even more extraordinary gifts.

"That shouldn't be too hard to manage." Perkha took my hands in hers, flipping them and studying my fingertips. "I would assume you've used this power?"

I suddenly found the eyes of everyone in our group on me. Nodding, I recounted the basic event and what had led up to it. Nothing too graphic was needed, and Perkha nodded along.

"Then it seems you already have a good grasp of your gift. Perhaps gloves though, just an extra precaution?"

She was asking me, not ordering me to wear something. It was a delicious change of pace.

"I think that would be wise," I took my hands back, cupping them in front of me. "If you don't mind my asking, what can you do?"

Perkha's smile grew, though I had thought it would be impossible. "I don't mind at all, though I don't know if I could consider this venom.

Perkha pulled her scarf to her neck, revealing intricate rows of quills that vibrated with her touch. She ran her hands through them and selected a spike. A simple tug and it was in her hand.

"Jax, get me something." Perkha's voice was patient and Jax jumped to it, scooping a pebble off the cobblestone.

He handed it to Perkha who took it wordlessly. With slow, deliberate movements, she touched the tip of the dull quill to the stone.

A small puff of smoke radiated from the rock and it melted, a goo falling from the piece. I could hear a hiss emit as the rest of it melted under the quill.

"It's an acid, but close enough to a venom that I can help others control their power." Perkha closed her fist and the quill shriveled under her touch. "Useful, but not in Intutum. Very much like yours, only good in extreme cases."

I nodded, still staring at the hole the acid had eaten in the ground. It was small enough I would never have noticed if I hadn't seen it disappear.

"Now, let's show Maurea a warm welcome. It's been so long since we've had something to celebrate," Perkha shouted. Her calls were met with a cheer as Spirits began circling the pavilion.

A low hum began and slowly leached into the crowd as a song I had never heard began. It was in a language I had never encountered, but the tone melted together in a rich tune. It might have been the circle that formed, pulling us as the words filled the cavern or the feeling of excitement as we joined together, but my heart warmed with acceptance.

The crowd was pushed to the bottom of the amphitheater where the circular table was pushed to the side. It created a stage for the Spirits as their song picked up.

Duo's took turns in the middle, dancing and twirling before joining the circle that was moving along the edge of the seats. Faraji and Anaula twirled, their wings flying open behind them as the four dozen or so Spirits laughed around them.

The songs constantly changed, language after language, chant after chant, but we never broke the circle.

My head spun and I felt drunk as I began to laugh with the people around me. It was like a part of me was pulled from my body, hovering in a large mass with the others.

An old tune began, a folk song that I had heard somewhere far off and the pace picked up. I began singing, joining the voices around me as we rejoiced.

Jax pulled me to the center as the song began its ascent, the words jumping with every verse.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself," Jax laughed as we spun.

My hair whipped as the tune changed, the clapping picking up as the bodies began spinning faster around us. Beads of sweat stuck the curls to my neck as I joined Jax's laughter.

"It's beautiful down here. I can believe it was made by a god."

"Yes," Jax reached out, out hand meeting before pulling away again, "it is an amazing home. You should see what else the world has to offer. It doesn't take a god to make a masterpiece."

"And what, pray tell, would you call these masterpieces."

"You should see the waters off the West Indies. The water is cleaner than any others." Jax smiled as he began recounting his trek through southernmost America and the exploration of Asia he wanted to accomplish in the future. "It's otherworldly living with a different culture."

"You miss it. Traveling, I mean."

Jax nodded. "It is, but if I was traveling, I couldn't be here dancing with our newest beauty."

I looked away from the Seductor and laughed. "You embrace your power I see. Using your charm."

I linked arms with the woman next to me, and the circle began again. The tune was slower, a waltz.

"My power cannot make you infatuated with me like Siren," Jax smirked and I looked back to the middle of the circle.

Our conversation died as another group joined the center and the language changed once more, short and sharp with the lyrics being belted.

When Spirits began leaving the circle, the crowd faded back to the individual groups. Everyone made sure to introduce themselves, shaking my hand and welcoming me.

Jax and I settled a few rows back, breathless on the seats. I could see groups of Spirits disappearing along the same path, the one that led to the tunnel outside. They were going to the ocean.

"You must explain your power to me," I finally prompted after a long but comfortable silence. "Why do you call yourself a Seductor if that's not your gift."

Jax assured me. "You felt the ice in your blood on the ship. My lies, loosen people's senses, make them open to my suggestions. I'm a thief, I can appreciate the power of lies.."

"Thief?"

Jax chuckled to himself, almost cursing himself. "I was a thief when I was alive. My lies followed me. The Ocean is poetic in that sense. "

"If it is so poetic, why make me poisonous?" I held out my hands, studying them in the bright light. "Of all the gifts, why give me death?"

"You'd have to ask it yourself and don't expect a response," Jax only leaned back, bracing himself against the seats behind us. "Very few are that lucky."

"Do you ever wish you had a different gift? Alexander's shifting or Siren's allure?'

"I can't say I have. I would appreciate Atoya's tail when swimming, but a lot of Spirits are gifted with tails. Maybe even wings, but I wouldn't be able to walk among humans. No, my gift suits me."

"Then I suppose mine will have to suit me as well," I leaned back, letting my eyes close.

"I'm going to my apartment now. It's in the building opposite yours in the circle, the middle door on the right. If you need anything, come find me."

"I will," I agreed. "Thank you for helping me, Jax. You've been positively lovely."

"You'll have to watch your words," Jax laughed, taking the seats like stairs until he hit the bottom of the amphitheater. "I'll think you're interested in me."

He laughed, turning his back to cross to his room without looking back. If he had, he might have noted the color in my cheeks.