New Addition to the Family

"I swear that heavens would punish me and make my soul suffer endlessly if I could ever do that!" Dad vowed. It seemed that he also thought of himself—how he experienced his childhood as a somewhat illegitimate son, with how his mother suffered and other things... and that he definitely won't do that to anyone else.

"Cassie, you're the only woman I've ever had, and you will always be the only woman I love," Dad suddenly took the opportunity to grab Mom's hands and declared. Mom blushed before she brushed off Dad's hands. I saw how the pair of twins snapped out of their daze and observed Mom and Dad's interactions in wonder.

Anyway, the twins were actually...

"So, where should I start?" Dad questioned himself when it was time for him to explain.

...then, he narrated on how... he should have had an aunt—in other words, Dad's father had an older sister.

Growing up in the corrupted family, for some reason, the older sister could remain with a sense of righteousness and kindness. Noticing the fishy conduct of her own family members, the older sister became the "rebel" of the family.

She then fell in love with a young butler that was working for the family. They eventually eloped and the Hartmann family cut off ties with her. Or it was more likely that the older sister cut off her relations with the Hartmann family first.

Afterwards, it was said that the two of them lived happily while hiding the fact that they were related to the Hartmann house. They left behind a son who was said to be an "irregularity"—the Hartmann person who didn't share the Hartmann family's peculiarity, the heterochromia and the [Oracle]. Therefore, the said son could live while not raising any suspiciousness that he was in some way related to the Hartmann family.

Then, based on what Dad had gathered, he found out that the said son—Dad's cousin—eventually married a wife and gave birth to a pair of twins—the twins who were currently right in front of my eyes.

...What followed the story was a tragic childhood of the twins.

Having a weak body, the twins' mother passed away not too long after giving birth to them. The twins' father worked hard to protect the twins and to raise them.

Finding out how the twins shared the Hartmann family's traits, he was afraid that their identities would be found out... although it shouldn't matter anymore at that time, as Dad was the duke of the Hartmann...

Apparently, there were still a small amount of people who didn't believe in Dad, therefore he was still working hard to do his best as a duke up until this moment, to live off people's expectations, to prove himself.

Perhaps Dad's cousin was raised by his mother while being warned that their origin should never be discovered or bad things might happen... that this was too ingrained in his mind and he refused to think that perhaps, getting discovered might result in good things.

...Things could have turned different if only he decided to believe in Dad and opened up to him.

Then, driven by his insecurities, he managed to somehow get his hands on special items—the limiting earrings that could conceal the twins' odd-eye colors and suppress their power.

However, luck didn't seem to be on this family, as the twins' father passed away so suddenly in a natural disaster. The twins were then taken in to an orphanage, where they were raised.

How was it discovered that the twins were related to the Hartmann family, and how did Dad end up hearing the rumors?

...It was when the orphanage director decided to sell the valuables that the children had—their earrings. At first, they didn't think too much of the twins' odd eye colors. But when the twins—the natural learners—started to figure out that they could use their [Oracle] or natural arts of illusion, the orphanage staff were excited.