Chapter Douze

Monday, 8:15 am

"Alex!" John waved from his spot on the front steps of the school. He and my other friends were all waiting for the doors to open.

As I returned the gesture, my eyes were drawn to the dark-skinned arm around his shoulders. I followed it to the face of Thomas Jefferson.

When he noticed me looking, he gave me a lazy half-smile. I returned that with the same face.

I took up a seat on the steps on John's other side, making myself comfortable and leaning against his thigh. John was sitting a few steps higher than me, so his leg was like a backrest. I pulled out my phone and began mindlessly scrolling through social media.

"How was your weekend?" Asked Liza, the sweetheart that she is.

"It was pretty great," I smiled. "What did you all do?"

"I had dinner with my girlfriend's family Saturday night," said Peggy.

"I had lacrosse practice all weekend- we're getting ready for the state tournament," Angie said proudly.

Eliza smiled. "You guys are definitely ready- I went to our cousin's house for a tutoring session."

"I hung out with Alex on Saturday."

An almost uncomfortable silence settled among the group as they all stared at either me or Thomas. Fun.

"Yeah," I said when it got to be too awkward. "He came over to my house to return something- I invited him inside and he had dinner with my family."

"Oh! The Washingtons are sweethearts," Pegs smiled, easily moving away from the topic before. Thank you, you ray of sunshine.

John spoke last. "Well, I went with Thomas to his football practice on Sunday. Lucky my dad let me do that much." He sighed.

"Oh yeah- Thomas, isn't your next game on Friday?" Peggy hummed, leaning forward to peer at Thomas from around Angelica.

"I like football," I said.

No, I don't- why did I say that?

"You should come to the game, then! It'll be fun- Eliza's on the cheer team and Peggy works concessions," John informed me, smiling an awfully cute smile.

Thomas's attention was drawn from his phone once the words left John's mouth. "No, he shouldn't- nobody wants to come to watch us get pummeled again."

My freckled friend gave a pout. "Come on, Tom- we still want to come to support you. Right, guys?"

"Well, I don't really have a choice or I'm off the cheer team," Eliza shrugged.

"Thanks," Thomas sighed, going back to whatever he was watching on his phone. John leaned into the dark-skinned male, resting his curly-haired head on Thomas's shoulder to see what he was looking at.

"I'll go," I said once the commentary had stopped. John looked thrilled while Thomas looked mortified at the idea of another person seeing his team's defeat. "To support the team, I mean- maybe you'll win this time."

"Doubt that."

"Can you see the future?"

"I can see another empty place in our trophy case if that's what you mean."

"You just don't want to admit that I could be right."

"Because you're not."

"But you don't-"

John rolled his eyes. "Oh, stop it, you two- you were getting along so well. Don't start bickering now." With those last words, John stood up and stretched, exposing the smallest bit of skin as his shirt rode up.

Wait- what? I wasn't looking, you were-

Ahem.

"We've got to get going, and Alex is coming to the game. End of conversation."

"...fine," Thomas huffed.

"Fine," I agreed. Why exactly did I want to go to this game, anyway?

Whatever. I'll worry about it later- anyway, the sisters went their separate ways to their classes. John went to his tech class, and Thomas and I walked to our first period with my dad.

Washington- with Washington! Not my dad- he's not my dad.

Ugh. I didn't get enough sleep.

So, that was it- another boring day at school. I don't think that constitutes any more words being said about it. I have a feeling the rest of the week will be the same way.

Now I've got a football game to look forward to, at least.

•••••
Word count: 695
It's short I know- it's also a filler chapter because I have writer's block and don't know what to put down without boring you all to death
The chapter's slow but the next chapter will go a lot more smoothly I promise
Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the chapter- thanks for reading- until next time guys! Byyyyyyyyyyyye