Prologue

Trigger Warnings: Mentions of self-harm and brief emotional abuse/transphobic slurs

•••••

Hello- I'm Alexa.

We'll start with the introductions:

There's me, Alexa Hamilton. I'm 16 years old. I have shoulder-length straight brown hair, chocolate brown eyes, and tan skin. I'm 5'4", have a strong build, and couldn't be happier with my life!

There's also my brother, James. He's 18 years old. He has short brown hair, dark brown eyes, and tan skin like me. He's a lot taller than I am, standing at a good 5'11" with a strong build and lots of girls pining after him day in, day out.

Oh! Then, we have my adoptive parents, George and Martha Washington. I love them, I really do, but... sometimes, they're a little overbearing.

Martha is a stout woman, standing at 5'0" with white hair that she always pulls back in a bun. She always- and I mean always- wears these really thick, coke-bottle glasses that look absolutely adorable on her!

George on the other hand... he isn't so easy. He's pretty tall, standing at a good 6'1" with no hair at all- seriously, the guy needs a powdered wig or something- and a well-built frame. He has these weird old-fashioned glasses that he somehow makes look good? I don't quite understand it myself- anyway, he's overall a great person- oh! And he's my history teacher!

Well, that's enough with the introductions.

Where should I start with this... I guess I'll start at the beginning.

("Start at the beginning. And when you get to the end? Stop!")

Ever since I was a little kid, I felt... different. Out of place, I suppose you could say. I hated that I had to wear all those stupid dresses, idiotic heeled shoes- it was a nuisance and a waste of time to me.

As I got older, I began to get curvier. My boobs suddenly grew 5x bigger than they had been, I started bleeding out of places that shall not be named...

It was horrible.

As I got older, I grew more accustomed to it. I still wondered if something was wrong with me. All the girls I knew liked dresses and makeup and heels. Why didn't I? Then, while browsing the Internet, I discovered something that changed my life forever...

While looking through different books on an app called Wattpad, I came across one all about the term "Transgender"- what it was, how it worked, what it meant...

It piqued my interest, so I figured why not check it out. As I read, I realized that... that's what was wrong with me! Nothing at all!

I just wasn't a girl. I was a boy trapped in a girl's body. That day, I couldn't help but feel overjoyed at my new discovery. It made me... glad to know I wasn't some freak of nature or that I wasn't right in the head.

I still hadn't come out to anyone else for about six months. After realizing that everyone might not understand me, I decided to only tell one person.

My best friend, Jackson Matthews.

The next day, I had worn jeans and a big t-shirt. I had begun to dress in less form-fitting outfits and more baggy shirts and pants.

I told him I needed to talk to him after school. We were in 8th grade.

Later that day, Jack and I had been sitting by our favorite tree in his backyard.

Turning to him, I swallowed hard, almost ready to let him know what was bothering me.

After twenty or so minutes of him telling me it was okay and me almost bursting into tears, I finally built up the courage to explain what was going on with me.

"I'm transgender."

That was all it took to turn our 10 year friendship into a vast memory.

Jack began to yell at me, continuing to tell me how I was disgusting and how I didn't deserve to live. He proceeded to explain how I was born a girl and would only ever be a girl- nothing more. He called me a tranny and a stupid bitch- so many hurtful names.

That hurt me in so many fucking ways. I went home crying that night- not only because I had lost my best friend, but because I knew he was right.

That's when the cutting started. Then, I began starving myself. His words cut me like a knife- the thought of knowing I would never be anything more than a stupid girl.

I still do it sometimes. I can usually fight it, but occasionally I let the urge overtake me...

Er- let's stop talking about the past.

Because my real story has only just begun.

•••••

Word count is 847
Hey guys- hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'm sorry I didn't have it out sooner- I was really busy these past few days. Anyway, the actual story starts next chapter- this was just an introduction of sorts. That's all for now! Have a great day/night! Baiiiii