CH. 38 Another Day

Start from the beginning

I sighed in defeat.

It felt like I was.

"Look at me, Violet," Kade commanded as he continued to stroke my hair.

I swallowed the ball in my throat, raising my eyes to look at Kade again.

His sharp jaw clenched as he stared at my drained expression.

"You are so much more than what that man treated you as," His lips fell at the sides in a frown, "Don't you dare call yourself broken. Don't you dare give Matteo that much power over you," Kade grit, his brows furrowing in anger.

I licked my lips, my eyes drooping at the sides as I stared at him, "It's so hard not too," I admitted dreadfully.

I wanted to be strong.

I wanted to be me.

But, I couldn't.

Kade frowned sadly, "I know," he whispered.

Kade then sighed, taking his lower lip within his teeth and biting down, "If I could've protected you, I would have. I would've done everything in my power to shield you from this."

As he said this, I felt his hand quiver in my hair, and he drew it back shakily.

I looked up again to see his eyes filled with tears.

"I hate him," Kade's lips moved slowly, his teeth bared in fury as his blue eyes swarmed with pain.

Flynn slowly walked over to stand behind Kade, gripping his shoulder tightly.

Kade lowered his head as I spotted a water droplet fall into his lap.

"We will get through this," Flynn spoke up, and I watched as his hand lightly rubbed into Kade's back comfortingly, "All of us," He said more to Kade and himself than to me. Flynn's angry eyes traced over me with sympathy, "I think this is enough for today," He sighed lightly.

I nodded quietly, watching as Cameron got up from my bed, walking to stand by Nathan's side.

All but Kade stared at me- his head still lowered in deep thought.

"We have some stuff we need to talk about," Flynn said gently, nodding to Nathan and Cameron.

I looked down at my hands, realizing what he meant.

"Without me, you mean."

The room was quiet.

"I just don't think what you need right now is to be listening to what we have to say about... the situation," Flynn said carefully.

I shifted my lips around, playing around with my fingers.

"It's nothing personal, Violet," Nathan's reassuring voice now spoke.

I glanced up, staring at his matted red hair that fell down to his ears.

I scratched my neck as I stared at him, "I know," I mumbled.