Chapter 40 - Monsters In The Night

C H A P T E R  F O R T Y
MONSTERS IN THE NIGHT

*•*•*•*

Mia's POV:

We sit around the fireplace, Charlie entering the room with hot chocolate for each of us.

"Why does Mike want to kill me on a certain date?" I query, my eyes flashing between each person.

Charlie inhales sharply as he passes me a mug, the heat evaporating through my hand as I take it gently.

"It's the same date of the attack, the 27th January." Charlie replies firmly. "When Sarah and his son died." He adds in, his eyes closing gently. "It's the way of a psychopaths mind set I gather."

I nod, pursing my lips together as I lean back in the sofa, Leo glancing over at me with a look of complexity. "Why?" He asks.

"I've just been thinking about his motives. His reasoning. If we want to beat him, we have to understand his motives and his reasoning." I respond.

"I may have not ever met the guy, but to me, it sounds like he wants a good slice of karma." Harvey perks in, leaning forward on the sofa, the crispy, warm fire burning on our faces.

I peer over at the door, noticing the security who've been assigned to keep an eye out on us listening in. I sigh heavily, shaking my head, distrust in them filling me. "They could tell Mike everything." I whisper, glancing over at them again, noticing them taking steps forward as if they could hear everything we were saying.

"What do you mean? They're security from Mike?" Harvey queries, a look of confusion on his features.

My mind flashes back to the day in the hospital, when it turned out that Mike was playing a role in kidnapping us again, in spite of the doctors being there. The Police being there.

"I don't trust them." I announce, shaking my head, "anyone could be helping Mike." I add in, peering down in defeat. "Them security guards could be for all we know."

Charlie sighs, placing a hand on my shoulder as he sits next to me, stroking my shoulder lightly. "Mia, we can't live in distrust and fear forever." He states, defeat filling his features.

"I thought you would've lacked trust more than anyone." I frown, looking over at Jess, who sat with her legs crossed, a peculiar look on her face as she taps her foot on the ground impatiently.

"Charlie can trust whoever he wants." Jess interrupts, "and Mia, it's not like you can be trusted more than any of us can. Your dad is the reason Mike's after all of us. Your Mum let that man into your home. You let him live there. He only continued what he was doing to all of us because of your Dad. And your indecisiveness between Leo and Charlie ruins their friendship." She snaps, bitterness sketching all over her as she abruptly stands up, her fists clenching.

"Coming from the girl who works for Mike." I snap back, anger pulsating through my veins.

"You have this friendship with Jake, his son, you dated Logan." She argues, taking cautious steps forward, testing every nerve I have in me.

I sharply inhale, looking away abruptly over at Leo, who sits there with his head down, as if lost in a world of his own.