Chapter 4

Sugawara POV

I took Hinata back to the clubroom to try and calm him down. I'm scared shitless if I'm going to be honest though. Hinata just out of nowhere got scared of Tsukkishima and kept saying something to let him leave. It alleviates some of the mystery. A third party must be involved. I thought. I shake off my thoughts. Focus on Hinata, you can wonder what happened later. I was able to tear Hinata's arms away from his face but it's no good if I can't see his face.

"Hinata, you got to look at me. I can't help you if you don't.," I say. I keep my voice quiet, almost like trying to coax a frightened child. He fights with himself but eventually looks up at me. What I see is worse than my imagination.

Daichi POV

We weren't there. The thought keeps floating in my mind. We weren't there to protect him, and now look at him. I try to tell myself that we did what we could, but we should've done more.

"Daichi-san? What's going on with Hinata?" Yachi asks me. I didn't even realize the young manager was right next to me. She looks at me nervously. I sigh.

"To be honest, we're not sure. Kageyama believes that there's a third party invovled, but we weren't there. And we won't know for sure unless we get the full story from Hinata.," I reply as best as I can. The young girl's eyes widen in shock. She covers mouth with her hand. She looks down. I notice a slight quiver in her body but before I could comfort her, Kiyoko's already by her side rubbing her shoulder and giving encouraging comments. I leave unannounced. Kiyoko has been good to Yachi, even if the girl is a bag of nerves. I scan the room. Yamaguichi is still helping with Tsukkishima with his nose, Asahi and Noya are talking amongst themselves while Tanaka seems ready to kill someone. I almost forgot he heard our entire conversation because he had to restrain Kageyama. I watch as Ennoshita tries his best to calm him down, but Tanaka somehow got him on board and they both actually look pretty intimidating. I walk up behind them and grab their shoulders, dragging them towards Asahi and Noya. Kageyama's outside, calming down before returning. Once Asahi notices my prescence he turns to face me as I drag the two 2nd years. He flinches slightly at the sudden act of strength as Noya tries to conceal a chuckle or two.

"Daichi, what's going on?" Noya asks after a short while. I let go of the two and scratch the back of my head.

"Do you want the truth or an explanation?" I ask, cause I only have those two options. Asahi and Noya nod in unison as they choose explanation. I wished they didn't choose that. I take a deep breath before I start to explain the situation. Once I finish Noya became expressionless, but I know he's plotting revenge. I watch as Asahi suddenly punches the gym wall. Over the echoing sound I barely hear what he says.

"That fucker.....," he mumbles. I'm genuinely surprised. Asahi never has had an aggressive outburst like this before. Only once with Noya after we lost to Date Tech a year before. Though it was only for a short while as he retracts his hand and starts shaking it. Noya starts laughing as he reaches for the giants arm.

"You almost had me there.," he jokes, barely able to hold on before he's laughing again.

"That really hurt.," Asahi says, regretfully. He let Noya examine his hand once he stops laughing. I look over at Tanaka and Ennoshita. They try to hold themselves together but I know what they're experiencing. I grip Tanaka's shoulder.

"There was nothing we could do.," I tell him. He shakes me off.

"If we were a little faster. We could've kept up with those two. Or maybe if we searched harder we could've found him before this.," he says, angrily. Ennoshita huffs in agreement.

"The best we can do now, is to focus our energy on trying to coax Hinata out of his shell.," I tell him. He nods silently. This is going to be a tough few weeks.

Sugawara POV

"Hinata...," I whisper. His face is so pale. There are dark circles under his eyes, showing how much sleep he's been losing. His face is thinner and his once bright brown eyes look so scared and sullen. I extend my hand slowly. He flinches slightly once I touched his cheek, but he sinks into the touch nonetheless. I rub my thumb over his cheekbone and cup his face. Before I can stop myself I pull Hinata into my arms. He's stiff for a few minutes before he tries to simk deeper into the contact. He grips the back of my shirt like a lifeline, always checking that it's really me and not his imagination. I almost cry at the thought. There's a reason I'm called the mom. Cause the players on this team are more then just my teammates, they're my family. Through the good and the bad. I feel him slump slightly. I search his face for any sign of discomfort but I realize that he fell asleep. I readjust myself against the wall and lay his head on my lap. I shift thruogh his curls careful to not wake him up. It was then that I noticed it. I thought it was my imagination but when I got a closer look, I was right. A bite mark.

Asahi POV

I punched the wall. Hard. I immediately regret it though. For a split second I see my teammates startled by my sudden outburst. To be fair, I'm startled myself. But right now, I'm pissed as hell. I want to find this bastard and make him pay. But my hand throbs.

"That really hurt.," I say. I let Noya examine my hand. I find it adorable at how much smaller his hands are compared to mine. Wait did I just think adorable? No, I did not just think my underclassmen as adorable. Though he is appealing in many ways, I'll say that. The way he holds himself high but whenever you need him, he'll be there. That's one of his most admireable qualities, how loyal he is. No matter how bad of a situation, he'll stick by you. He forgave me so fast after I came back. Even now I still blame myself for that lose, but he always admires my spikes and always has my back. I only wish I could return the favor.