Chapter 1

Kageyama POV

It was odd. At least to me it was. Hinata seemed distant. He rarely called for any shots, he rarely spoke in general. At first he pushed it off as a cough, but I knew better. I knew him better. First time we met, he always made the last argument. He was the loudest, most abrupt person I've ever met. But he's also kind and good. He understands people easily and can pick you up when you're down. His smile, god his smile. I never want to know the day when that smile fades. Each day, each practice. My eyes always find him. At first it was to give him the shot that means everything to him. Now, without thinking, my eyes always follow his trail. His every move. I guess that's why I know that he's lying to us. That he's been lying to us since about a month ago. It started after one of our practices. We were on a group run and we were racing again. He got to far ahead and went the wrong way. We searched for at least 4 hours. We all gathered at front of the gym. But when we reached the front door, he was there waiting for us. We don't know how long, but he was different. He was curled in a ball and his eyes were fearful. When he saw us approaching, he stood quickly. He scratched his head nervously.

"Sorry. I got a little lost but I found my way back." He said, voice groggy. I stood in the back as Daichi scolded him. That was the first sign. When Daichi got in a 3 foot radius of him, he backed away. His eyes widened slightly but collected himself quickly.

"Hinata? What's wrong?" Daichi spoke. Hinata grasped his left wrist with his right hand. It was a low movement so no one else payed attention, but in my mind I knew what he was hiding. Bruises. I thought. I didn't speak up. Hinata has his reasons. He simply said that he thinks he caught something as his voice was hoarse and he was struggling with simple phrases. Daichi nodded and backed off. We followed him into the gymnasium, Hinata hanging in the back with Noya. He offered his water. Hinata thanked him and took the water. Second sign. Hinata made an effort to try and not make contact with Noya. Of course, Noya shook it off. Asahi called Noya to help him with the net poles. The second Noya was gone, Hinata seemed to breathe  easier. He gasped out a silent sigh as he was distanced from everyone. I went to the supply closet and grabbed two mops.

"HEY! Hinata!" I called. Once he spotted me, I tossed him one of the mops. He caught it with the grace of a blind duck. Baka. I thought. We mopped the floors in our timely manner. I started speeding up, but stopped when I noticed Hinata falling behind. He stayed at the monetone speed he was going. Sign three. He loves competing with me. He'd never give up the chance to beat me. Everyone shook it off, but they all started to catch on in the end. The practice after that, he was quiet. His eyes were distant and dull. He only speaks when spoken to. He doesn't look up. His eyes trail the ground and the shoes that walk upon it. We all tried to talk to him. Well, almost everyone. I left him alone, because if he wants to talk to someone about it, he'll tell someone. That's who he is. Once the month passed, he got worse. It had to happen on this particular day too. The vending machine was out of juice and yogurt, the classes were piling with work, and the noise. God the noise. I was on my way to the club room when I noticed everyone standing outside. I walked up, as it might have simply been a meeting. What set me off were their faces.

"What's going on." I asked. Suga spoke quickly with Daichi before he ordered everyone to the gym. He grasped my shoulder and led us little ways from the door.

"Suga, is something wrong?" I asked again. He sighed in defeat.

"It's Hinata. He locked himself in the club room.," Suga replied. I cocked my head to the side. Why would he do that? I asked myself.

"Can you get him out?" I asked. Suga shook his head.

"He can get out. It locks from the inside.," he says.