chapter 5

Percy's P.O.V

The last time we spoke was when I was in English class. She wasn't in the bathroom at the end of the day, and she wasn't answering any of my texts.

What if something had happened to her?

I had sent her at least 20 texts asking if she was all right, but she hadn't answered any of them.

Only when I texted "I'm gonna call the cops if you don't answer me because you're making me really scared," did she answer.

"No!" her text said. "Please don't."

I called her so that we could talk to each other more easily.

When she picked up, the first thing I said was, "Why aren't you answering me? What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said. Her voice was as cold as it could ever get.

"Tell me what's wrong," I demanded. "We promised to tell each other everything."

She took a deep breath like she was preparing to murder someone. "Remember when you told me that you were in English class, so we couldn't talk?"

"Yeah?" I said, unsure where this was going.

She sighed. That sigh seemed familiar. "Well, when I said hi, your ringer buzzed and you answered that you were in English class, I knew who you were."

"You might have mistaken me for someone else," I said.

"Sure, dumbass," she said. "I totally don't know that you're Percy Jackson!" Well, I guess she did know... But... why was she being so mean? She was usually so open and sweet. I might have even started to like her!

"I knew it," I said, discouraged.

"What?" she said, her voice softening at my sad tone.

"You told me that you didn't care who I was because I was sweet and nice and funny. I told you you'd be disappointed when you found out and what did you say? You said, "Oh, no, I won't be disappointed because you're the closest thing I've had to a friend in forever!" I should've known. I'm so stupid. Who the hell would want to be friends with a nerd, anyway?"

"Me," she said, starting to cry. "I'm really sorry. I guess I never thought of it like that. You are nice, and you are funny, and you are sweet. It's just... we don't exactly like each other in our everyday life and I didn't want to get too attached if once you found out, you'd just leave me to do this on my own."

I sighed, sadly. "Listen," I said. "We've got each other for this, and that's what matters, right? We know things about each other that no one else knows, and that's a pretty big deal. We've gotta be there for each other, okay? We gotta do this together."

"Together?" she asked. I could hear her sniffle.

"Together," I confirmed.

"You promise? Even if you hate my guts when you find out who I am?" she asked, still uncertain.

"I promise," I said. "You're an amazing person, and that's what matters to me."

"Okay," she said. Why did she think I would hate her? It's not like she was Annabeth Chase or something.

OH SHIT, SHE WAS ANNABETH CHASE.

"Annabeth?" I whispered into the phone.

this one's kinda short, sorry :/