chapter 4

Annabeth's P.O.V.

The same guy who found me crying in the stalls the day before came back. He had heard me crying once more and decided to do something about it. I'm glad he did. I haven't had a decent friend in ages.

Every time after our bathroom meets, I end up coming home late and getting a beating, but it's kinda worth it now.

I've decided that today I would give him my number so that I wouldn't be late and we could talk regularly.

After school, we met up, like usual. We had decided that after a week of doing this, we'd reveal our identities. He had told me that I'd be disappointed when I figured out who he was, but I highly doubted that.

He was funny, sassy (extremely), smart, witty, nice and very understanding. Truth be told, we had a lot in common.

I may or may not be crushing on him...

"Hey," he said, "how're you holding up?"

"I'm good," I said. Ever since I began talking to him, I haven't been talking to any of my other 'friends' or classmates. They all seem boring in comparison. He was funny and nice and sweet and cheesy and sarcastic and oh-so-sassy. He was everything I wanted in a guy.

"So, I was thinking," I said, "what if we exchange numbers? I mean, we could talk and not always have to meet up..."

"That sounds like a good idea." I could practically hear the smile through his words.

So we exchanged numbers and spoke a bit after that. We joked and laughed and did the usual.

When we parted ways, I was surprised to know that I would get home early, meaning I wouldn't get a beating. Thank the gods.

-time-skip-to-the-next-day-

I've never been able to connect with a human in my life this well. Whoever this boy was, I couldn't wait to find out who he really was.

Ever since we exchanged numbers, we've been chatting non-stop. He kept telling me that when I found out who he was, I'd be disappointed. He said he wasn't very popular, but honestly, I didn't care about that. Not at all.

In four days I'll be meeting him for real, and I couldn't hold back my excitement.

As I'm sitting in English class, it's all I can think about. Sadly, the teacher called on me. "Annabeth, what do you think?"

"Huh?" I asked, causing the class to laugh.

"What do you think about the metaphors in the book we're reading?" she urged.

I don't remember what I said, but it must've been pretty because the class began laughing again. And it must've been obviously the wrong answer since my teacher seemed displeased.

"What do you think, Percy?" she asked, nodding to the kid sitting next to me.

He smiled widely. "Well, there are a few metaphors. For example..."

All I heard after that was "blah, blah, blah". Gods, that kid was annoying.

But something seemed familiar about his voice. Like as if we've been talking for a while now. But that impossible, since we haven't said a word to each other to each since I met the charming guy in the bathroom.

"Very good, Percy," the teacher said after what seemed like an eternity.

I hated school. Don't get me wrong; I loved certain subjects, but sometimes the people were just despicable. They always found a way to gossip shit about you or humiliate you in front of a classroom or turn your favourite subject into your least favourite subject simply because they're your lab partner (that's right, Octavian, I'm talking to you). All I wanted was a real friend that I could be myself around. And I was really hoping that the guy in the bathroom and I could be like that... or maybe even a little more.

I decided to text him because, well, why not?

"Hey," I messaged. Then I heard a DING! somewhere around me. Luckily, it wasn't loud enough for the teacher to hear it.

Percy took his phone out of his back pocket. The DING! obviously came from him. But what did I care? I just wanted to talk to my mystery boy.

When I saw the three dots pop up on the screen I got excited.

"I can't talk right now," the text from him said. "I'm in English."

Wait, but that meant... I blinked. No way. No fucking way.

"No fucking way," I muttered. I refused to believe that I had fallen for him.

"What?" Percy asked. I recognized his voice now. It was so familiar now that it was soothing. I just stared at him in disbelief.

"It's nothing," I said firmly.

But it wasn't nothing. Because the funny, sarcastic, nice, sweet, understanding, witty and amazing guy that I met in the bathroom and practically fallen in love with was non-other than Percy fricking Jackson.