Chapter 67: The People's Voice

Ryzen POV

I was in a very euphoric mood as I got into my family's car. That meeting really took a huge weigh off my chest. I'm so relieved...

Sometimes, we really have to let go of the life that we expected to have, hmm? Instead, we have to start to living the life we are given.

The heavens were right, in the end. I'm just happy with how everything is... I could not ask for anything more.

However, as I delved into my thoughts, my driver suddenly spoke out of the sudden. He wasn't someone who was chatty and he was rather reserved, so I was a bit startled.

"Miss Yu, are you aware about the latest news?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

I directed my gaze at the driver and saw that he had a complicated expression on. He let out a soft sigh before replying.

"Mayor Lennox... he's being arrested..."

What!?

My eyes widened and if we weren't at the road right now, I would probably panic right away. What the heck!?

He seemed to be agitated by my expression, but thankfully, he did not let it distract him from driving carefully.

"Sorry, Miss Yu. I just thought that you'd want to know... I just read about it while browsing my phone, while I was waiting for you outside the restaurant..."

Although my heart was beating fast right now since I was feeling uneasy about the situation, I gave him a small smile.

"It's okay, thank you. But, could you please drop me off at the La Coron City's city hall instead?"

The driver looked pleased at my reply and nodded at me before quietly driving again.

I unconsciously put my hand over my chest, bracing myself. I browsed through my phone and instantly, I found the article that the driver was talking about. Indeed, it was a hot topic among everyone and it was only posted 20 minutes ago...

"Breaking News: DI summons Lennox Zevallos for supposedly abusing his powers as the mayor of La Coron City

The Department of Investigation (DI) was urged to to investigate Lennox Nico Zevallos for his alleged misuse of powers and neglect of his responsibilities as a public official.

In a statement by DI, it was revealed that they were urged by Senator David Banzon to probe on the young mayor.

In a letter, Senator Banzon claimed that Lennox Zevallos have become fatuous over a mere girl, referring to Zevallos' girlfriend, Millen Yu. Senator Banzon further instigated that Zevallos neglected his city, exploited his power as a mayor and misapplied his family's influence for personal gain. Furthermore, he claimed that Zevallos is not a competent leader because he let his personal feelings mix with his government work.

DI complied with Senator Banzon's request and as of the moment, a letter was already sent to Zevallos, inviting him to appear on their main office by next week."

This is so ridiculous! This is obviously power-tripping!

How dare them say that Lennox is not a competent leader!?

Although my heart surged with anger and resentment, I know that I have to calm my emotions.

As I analysed the report properly, it is not as bad as the driver made it out to be. Lennox is not going to be arrested, he was just being summoned based on ridiculous claims. But still, he may face criminal charges if the national agency suddenly decides to give him penalties.