Chapter 19 - The Eye

The moment I heard those words, it was like the glowy haze I was experiencing just a moment ago shattered right before my eyes. What? My pack? Attacked? And right after we were attacked, too?

I was suddenly reminded of what I'd thought during the attack. This - two attacks on people from my pack - had been planned. By who and why, I didn't know, but there was no other explanation. This couldn't just be a coincidence. It was too soon, too close together.

Someone was attacking my pack.

I quickly scrambled out of Joshua's bed, slipping on my robe and rushing over to the two by the door. "My pack was attacked?" I asked frantically.

Mark glanced at me for a moment before nodding his head grimly. "Yeah. Your friends want to leave as soon as possible to head back. They were wondering if you were coming with them."

I glanced up at Joshua, who nodded back. "Yeah, we're heading back."

Mark raised a questioning eyebrow at that. Joshua stepped in this time to explain what we agreed upon. "Wren and I figured we could spend one more month at his pack while he tied up any loose ends so we could move him in here."

The future alpha nodded his head. "I see. Well, I guess I'll see you two in a month. Feel free to leave whenever you need to, by the way. And we're always a call away." He then smirked, glancing at both of us. "I see you guys were busy, huh. I didn't want to say anything just yet, but congrats."

After he left, I looked at Joshua in slight disbelief. Joshua seemed to understand and pulled me into a hug. Mark's final comment went right over our heads as the situation before us began to heavily press on our minds. "It'll be okay. We'll be able to see for ourselves that everyone is okay and safe soon. Just try and stay calm."

"Joshua..."

I looked up at him, and I noticed how sad his eyes looked. It didn't suit him. "I think this was all planned."

He frowned, obviously not having expected me to say something like that. "What? Wren, where is this coming from?"

"Think about it," I stressed. "We leave on a trip in the middle of the woods with the entire next generation of our pack leaders. If we'd been attacked by more rogues, we could've all died. That would've been a powerful blow to the hierarchy in my pack. And then within a day, the pack itself gets attacked? How is this not supposed to be connected?"

Joshua went silent, glancing away so he could think for a moment. "We need to talk with everyone else about this, but we should wait until we get back to your pack so we can tell your alpha as well."

I nodded my head slightly. Great goddess, why now? Why my pack? My head was spinning as I tried to process everything that was going on. I felt a warm hand move to gently guide me by my lower back further into the room.

"Come on," Joshua said softly. "Let's go eat a quick breakfast and get on the road."

.

.

.

Breakfast was deathly quiet. My friends and I didn't utter a single word and I could tell that everyone else could feel the negative energy emanating from us. I was glad this hadn't been a pack breakfast and it was just those that lived in the packhouse. It made things a lot easier.

We left shortly after that. Joshua offered to drive my car and told me to try and sleep. The entire time, he held my hand over the center console, knowing I'd need the silent support. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't sleep. How could I when I was so worried?