Chapter 4 - It's Complicated

Two days passed with the visitors. I avoided them, especially Joshua. He seemed to be doing the same. It was probably because of what happened that one morning. I still felt a bit bad. Either way, though, I would have to see him tonight. We had our run today. It was basically an entire day of events: we had a picnic lunch at our local lake and spent the rest of the day there until nightfall. Once the moon rose into the sky, we all shifted and began the run. It was a great time to bond with our packmates. I still enjoyed it even if my wolf was slightly slower than most. Erin sometimes stopped to run with me, but he was usually at the front. That was always fine though because, after the run, we all gathered back by the lake and just spent the night out as a pack.

I already had a small bag of extra clothes and what not to take with me as I walked to the packhouse. I was going to meet Erin and our friends before we went off to the picnic. The weather was perfect for the event too, thank goodness. We've had to do in the rain before, but the day honestly felt so perfect, like nothing could ever ruin it.

As I went to open the front door, I suddenly found it slamming into my face. I cried out, holding my nose. The person who hit me gasped, closing the door quickly. I peeked my eyes opened and was extremely surprised to see Joshua. Wonderful. So he'd seen me half-naked and he's probably bruised my nose.

"Wren," Joshua said, looking panicked.

"Ow, that really hurt," I whined, still holding my nose as I tried to calm down.

"I'm so sorry! Let me take you to the pack doctor or something. Shoot, I didn't mean to, I swear!" He rambled, his hands scrambling around to try and find something to do.

I stepped back, shaking my head. "No, no, it's fine. It'll heal soon anyway."

He looked at me carefully, his face becoming unreadable for a moment. "So, um, about-"

"Wren!" A voice suddenly called out.

Joshua stopped mid-sentence, his face going blank when he saw Erin, Ryder, and Aaron coming our way. I smiled, still holding my nose. When Erin stopped in front of me, he noticed me holding my nose, a frown taking over his gorgeous face soon after. "You're hurt. What happened?" He asked worriedly, grabbing my hand to pull it away from my nose.

"Joshua accidentally hit me in the nose with the door. He apologized already and if I'm being honest I wasn't really looking where I was going anyway," I explained to him as he examined my face.

"It doesn't look too bad. It should heal up soon."

I nodded my head. As werewolves, we naturally had a more accelerated healing rate than humans did. We had longer lifespans as well. We weren't invincible, of course, but the healing ability certainly came in handy when you got a paper cut. Those things hurt like crazy.

"Anyway, why don't we all head to the lake together? Aaron's letting us use his car!" Ryder offered, smiling widely.

Erin nodded in agreement, looking at Joshua, who'd gone completely silent. Joshua opened his mouth to say something, but stopped, nodding his head in agreement. I gave him a small smile, to which he quickly avoided my gaze. I felt an arm wrap around my waist and I looked up, smiling at Erin.

"Okay, let's head out then. Joshua, where are your alpha and alpha-to-be?" Erin asked, keeping me close.

"They left with your father. I had come back to get something."

Now that I thought about it, I realized he was carrying a small bag. I guess I never noticed it. Erin nodded his head, telling us to get going. Ryder and Aaron began to walk, getting ahead of us. Erin and I walked together, Joshua behind us. Aaron's car was parked a short walk away with a few other cars. I don't know why he didn't just park near the packhouse like others did since there was a small parking lot off to the side of the building. Maybe he wanted to keep it open for guests.