Chapter 18 - A Good Time For First Times

Just so y'all can have an idea of how in-depth things go (the title kinda gives away something lol), the rating for this book still hasn't changed to mature.

~

After a rather uneventful dinner - aside from worrying over Ella's comment on my smell - Joshua and I excused ourselves quietly. Apparently, he'd been really serious about feeding me and then making sure I got some more rest. Of course, we'd have to be careful with my concussion, but throughout the evening, my injuries had healed a lot more, thankfully. I might have some scarring on my back and head for a bit, but they, too, would fade and heal over time.

Joshua led us up to the third level. He explained that this was where the beta and his immediate family members lived. "So, you guys don't have a gamma?" I asked as he led me down the hall to what I assumed was his room.

Joshua shook his head. "No, we have a head warrior, but we're not as large as your pack, so the position never really needed to be filled," he explained.

We stopped in front of a set of double doors. My stomach began to flutter - and it wasn't all that pleasant given the fact that I just ate - when I realized this would be our first night sleeping together. As in one bed, in a private room, and not a tent on two separate sleeping bags. I noticed that both of our bags were placed on a couch that seemed to be a part of a tiny living room.

The room itself was beautiful. As soon as we entered, we were met with a couch and some seats situated around a coffee table and mounted tv. There was even a fireplace, to which I got a little excited about for no reason. Raised a bit higher than the living area and lead up to by stairs was the actual bedroom portion, with some decorative partitions lining the steps.

I walked into the room, getting a better look at the bed. It looked so soft and comfortable with fitted gray-blue sheets and a fluffy, off-white throw blanket. It took all of my will not to run over and jump onto the bed. I didn't even realize how tired I was until now.

"So... do you want to shower?" Joshua's voice spoke up.

Nevermind, I'm not that tired anymore.

I looked at him quickly, feeling my ears burn. "What? You mean like together or something?! I can handle it myself, no worries."

Joshua mirrored my embarrassment with a blush of his own as he quickly said, "Wait, no! T-that's not what I meant. But, we could if you wanted to - and only if you were okay with it!"

We went silent after that. Was it just me or had the room suddenly gotten really hot? I looked down at my feet, trying to figure out what to say next. What was I even supposed to say?

I figured that, eventually, something like this would happen. We were mates. But were either of us ready for anything close to intimacy? I mean, I was still injured - even if the wounds were healing rapidly - and Joshua would be too worried, and we only just accepted our bond yesterday.

But maybe that didn't matter.

"Wren?"

I looked up to find Joshua standing right in front of me. He reached down to grab my hand in both of his, squeezing gently. I found myself carefully looking at his face, drinking in every edge and curve of his face. His eyes looked so green now. "Joshua, I-"

I was silenced by his soft lips covering mine in a sweet kiss. The moment our lips touched, I didn't feel fireworks - thank goddess, because that was just too much of a cliche - but I did feel an intense warmth that bloomed from the pit of my stomach and spread out to the tips of my fingers in one very pleasurable moment.

Joshua's hands left mine so he could wrap one arm around my waist to pull me closer as the other reached up to run through my hair. My own arms reached up to wrap around his neck to pull him closer, too. Great goddess, why did it feel so good to kiss this man? Was this what I had been missing out on for the past few weeks? Darn it, stupid disability.