"What's wrong?" she whispered while tilting her head to the side and looking straight at me but I couldn't bring myself to answer her so I looked away from her curious gaze.

Adriano had his fist clenched around his fork and I could tell that he was about to lose his patience. He was the closest to Alana since she was born exactly one year after him and although he is the calmest one among us, he tends to go completely insane once his buttons have been pushed past limit. Meanwhile Alanzo was looking out the window in a daze and I could tell he was thinking of his big sister as well. Father was the one who let out a sigh and began to speak to Katerina, although his voice was distant and filled with grief as well.

"Today is my wife's birthday but it is also the day that we lost our precious daughter, Alana. During childbirth, Alana lost a lot of blood and was taken into emergency surgery before she fell into a coma. Two weeks later, she took her last breath which happens to be exactly three years ago today. My wife has not celebrated her birthday in three years, instead she chooses to lock herself in our bedroom for the whole day and does not speak to anyone for the whole day," father explained in a helpless and tired voice as a silent gasp escaped her and tears brimmed her wide eyes. I wanted to reach across and pull her onto my lap right away.

"Lana was a passionate baker. She would always bake mom's birthday cakes with a new design every year. Ever since she passed away, mom stopped--" Adriano trailed off and dropped his fork onto the table before excusing himself. Alanzo soon followed him out as well with tears brimming his eyes.

We may run the most coldblooded Italian Mafia but family means everything to us. Everything that we do is to ensure our family and Mafia member's safety. Father and mother fought hard to protect their four children from danger and Alana was the only princess in our family. Losing her was a huge blow for all of us.

"I'm so sorry," Katerina whispered through tears as father shook his head towards her with a gentle look before leaving as well.

She looked down at her lap and noticed that Elijah had climbed onto it at some point and buried his small head into the side of her neck for comfort. Wrapping her arms around him tightly, she let more tears flow down her face.

My heart clenched at the sight of her crying. She was just too innocent and sweet for her own good. This is my family's pain, why is she trying to share our grief? Truly, she takes my breath away. She's nothing like that repulsive Dale family and far from her selfish twin sister.

"Don't blame yourself. You did nothing wrong, tesoro. I have work to do but I will be back before dinner. Call me with the house phone if you need anything," my clear voice rang through the silent breakfast room before I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and on top of Elijah's head. She seemed too caught up in her own feelings, making me smirk since I know that she would have pushed me away otherwise.

****

"Do not worry madam, I am sure the painting is in the living room," Clarence stated as we hurried towards the main living room.

"It better fucking be or else I won't hesitate to kill you," I threatened him and sent him a murderous glare.

I just returned home from signing a deal with the Canadian Mafia and was already wanting to split my fucking head open. That son of a bitch, Slate Moretti, is the most hardheaded bastard that I have ever met. He knew what day today was for my family since our fathers have been good friends for many years.

But still, that heartless asshole made me visit his Bairut hotel in the heart of Los Angeles to sign a deal. There were many times when I almost pulled out my gun and wanted to blow his brains out but then one of my men informed me that he was just having a bad week. Apparently, his pregnant wife betrayed him and ran off without telling him where she was heading to.