Chapter 7

Katerina Dale

"Done!" Elijah and I looked at each other and bursted into laughter. We were both covered in flour powder and pink icing that we used on the birthday cake. Thankfully, the maids and cooks had left us alone in the main kitchen and promised to keep it a secret. They advised us not to do it but I promised to take responsibility for whatever happens later on so they silently left. I received a few weird stares when they saw my green eyes but I shrugged it off and pretended as though nothing was wrong.

Looking at the beautiful pink and white toned cake with huge rose decorations and a small white banner that read "Happy Birthday Grandma", my face broke out into a relieved smile. I can't believe Elijah and I were able to finish baking this in time and were not caught by anyone else. No one had come down during lunch, something that the head butler, Clarence, had explained was a regular occurrence on Alana's death anniversary.

The De Luca family held strict traditions, they were to meet in the De Luca family mansion every weekend and eat all three meals together. However, today seemed to be an exception since Arsenio was busy with coaxing Eliana to leave their bedroom, Arosio was working and his two brothers had disappeared after breakfast.

"Mommy, you are the best baker ever! It looks really nice," Elijah bounced up and down excitedly, making the flour on his black curls fall around the kitchen countertop that he was sitting on.

"Why thank you, my little prince! It is all thanks to you being the best sous-chef ever," I gently tapped his nose that was covered with pink frosting and giggled when he pouted at me.

In all honesty though, none of this would have been possible without my maternal grandmother. Grandmama may be a horrible cook but she is a very talented baker. Everything I know about baking was taught to me by her. I used all of my skills to bake this cake and decorate it with Elijah within the limited time that we had.

"What's a sous-chef?" Elijah titled his cute head and questioned me as I helped him off the counter and placed him onto the floor.

"It means assistant! Now, let's bring this cake into the living room," Elijah's soft feet padded against the floor as he followed me out of the grand kitchen and we headed towards the main quarter's luxurious living room.

The elegant living room was decorated with pink and white balloons and flowers everywhere. Elijah looked at me with a huge grin before running towards the balloons and tossing them into the air while laughing. I shook my head at him with laughter as well before placing the cake onto the glass table that was in the middle of all of the sofas.

Looking at the clock on the wall, I saw that there were only a few minutes left until the head butler, Clarence, would bring everyone here. Nobody had any idea what was going on since Elijah and I instructed Clarence to keep it a secret.

"Here you go, Mistress," Helena stated as she brought me the portrait that I had seen her bringing to Eliana earlier in the morning. It was a beautiful painting of Alana with her smooth skin, vibrant green eyes and straight dirty blonde hair cascading down her elegant face. She had the same sharp nose as her siblings and high cheekbones as Eliana.

Apparently, Eliana would hold this very portrait and cry herself to sleep every year on this day. I felt bad asking Helena to steal it for me, but that was the only way for me to ensure that Eliana would leave her bedroom tonight.

"Thank you, I really appreciate your help, Helena. Please close the lights, mama should be coming down any minute now," I smiled at her sweetly and she looked at me a bit longer with a questioning glance before nodding her head and leaving the living room.

Signalling Elijah over to me, I placed the portrait onto the sofa in front of the cake and made sure that Eliana would be able to see it once she entered. Elijah gave me a thumbs up and began to giggle before coming over to where I was standing in front of the cake. We made sure to stand on the side so that Alana's portrait would be seen by Eliana.