She frowned at this and stepped back angrily, "Spiteful?" Her teeth gritted.

Ramses sighed and shook his head. "And this is one of the reasons Nefertari is Queen, and you are not. So be on your best behaviour when the retinue arrives. We will talk more about this later." With those words, he left her speechless and staring after him as he walked away.

For many leagues, residents of Pi-Ramses had lined the wide dusty roads leading into the city. They threw palm fronds and lily flowers before the procession and cheered enthusiastically as they passed. Malawashina was so awed that, still far from the city gates, the peasantry had come to greet her arrival. They danced and played drums, cymbals, harps, and flutes to the beat of the marching feet of the cortege.

"I cannot believe it...." Malawashina stated as she waved to a group of children who were trying to catch her attention. Her heart could not race faster than it already was with excitement and anticipation.

"The people are excited that their new princess has finally arrived." Seshen smiled warmly as she, too, peered out through the sheer curtains that veiled them.

"Surely, they have greeted many. How can they be so enthusiastic each time?"

"They love their Pharaoh," Seshen replied truthfully. "A new marriage means that his divine family can continue to flourish. Besides, once Egypt and Hattusa had been mortal enemies. With your marriage to our Pharaoh, our mighty nations will have everlasting peace and prosperity. The people of Egypt are tremendously joyful for that."

Malawashina hummed as she nodded. "I do not remember seeing such joy and happiness on the faces of the common folk. It warms my heart greatly that the Pharaoh is much loved. Unlike in my old home where our King is..." She stopped short and sighed. She did not want to think of him on such a joyous day. "Look at all your fertile fields. I see that the inundation was generous this year."

"Indeed. Hapi has blessed us with a bountiful harvest every year since this city was built. Pi-Ramses is truly adored by the gods, Princess. It is a holy land."

Gradually they closed in on the colossal statues of the Pharaoh, which guarded the mighty gates to the city. Malawashina wanted nothing more than to poke her head out of her litter to gaze up upon them, but her loyal guard, Saduhi, disallowed her for her own safety.

Pouting, she sat back down, but the three girls still gathered at the curtains to peer up at their splendour. The shendyt they wore were painted a brighter white than the walls they sat against. The collars upon their broad shoulders seemed to sparkle like they were encrusted with natural jewels and gems. The Nemes headdresses they wore were painted bright blues and shimmering gold, and their eyes were set with brilliant green nephrite. Their lips were fashioned into a gentle smile. Carved upon the shoulders of each statue was the Pharaoh's royal cartouche.