I take another two syringe from the metal table, my heels clicking on the ground. I align the needle with the next temple, my blood boiling. "Not any person from any social class." I push down the button, giving the girl her second injection.

I move on to the next girl. "Not even those rebels." I push the syringe into her skin and back out.

"Because all of your lives rely on these needles right now."

"Amen," the girl snickers. "And they call this a promotion for you?"

I grab the final three gun-syringes.

"Yes..." I click a shot into the male's neck.

"They..." Another staple-like sound into a girl's neck.

"Do." The final shot goes into the final girl's neck.

The three arrogant Screeners sit motionless with straightened spines and empty eyes. Satisfaction seeps coldly into my chest for a moment. Then I realize that I've made the problem worse.

All the Screeners in the room stand up together, slamming their helmets back on their heads. The wide doors open once more, and natural light illuminates the building even more.

Just as I turn to cross my arms and watch the Screeners exit, a nearby voice bellows loudly into the barn, causing me to jump. "Out of the building! Let's go! The rebels are--"

Screeners guarding the door blast their weapons at oncoming people armed with massive-looking guns. The gunshots break the quiet air into shattering pieces.

Ears ringing, I quickly turn to Stephen's station and watch in horror as his feet jerk and give out underneath him. The sight shreds my heart apart as I scream.

Remembering to react, I scramble to slide under one of the metal tables to get to him, to save him. I pull his gun out of his severely-shaking hands.

"Steph-- have-- go!" I yell as bullets steal my words. Stephen continues to spazz out as I try to drag him to a standing position. One of my high heels twists my ankle, and I kick it off, growling. I pull Stephen across the floor as he twitches, both of us crawling away from the gunfire. He presses against me tightly.

A small device launches into the building, and it bounces twice on the ground. My eyes widen in recognition. Our hearts catch in our throats. Stephen and I quickly claw away from the device, stumbling and knocking over metal tables and chairs with loud clatters.

The mini bomb blows up, heat and dirt exploding on us. Stephen and I both scream as heat singes our skin and clothing. I pray as hard as I can that the heat damages the mind control technology in Stephen's body. I'm just about positive that's what destroyed mine.

Hands locked with each others', we crawl to a standing position and stumble away from the bomb, choking on its smoke. Guns fire and people yell as the robot Screeners fight the rebels outside. Shots continue to beat into my ear as the building fills with smoke. The farther set of doors in the barn cracks open, and the remaining unarmed Screeners slip outside.

Stephen and I bolt along the wall, crouching at every gunshot. We finally reach the doors and squeeze outside, expecting safety. The scene is even worse.

The forest has been reduced to a battleground. Screeners and rebels shoot at each other, few bodies falling dead. Stephen and I rush through the danger, sticking near the paved pathway. My bare feet slap against the ground as we dodge bullets the best we can. No one seems to aim directly for us although I swear I see a bullet narrowly miss Stephen's head. I'm tempted to fire back with my own gun, but it's too risky; fleeing is our best option.