Chapter 5

(Y/N) let out a sigh as she walked back into her room, soap suds clinging to her shirt. After having fed Harry, her father had asked her to do the dishes, so not wanting to be in more trouble than she was, she obliged.

Even though he practically threatened her.

"I better not catch you on that laptop again today." He had said in a low voice, "You'll do something more productive with your time if you know what's good for you."

She frowned to herself. How could he even talk to her like that, threaten her like that? It wasn't fair. Just because he was an adult, he got to do whatever he wanted, and she couldn't do anything to stand up for herself.

Closing the door, she leant her head back on it. All she could do was bite her tongue and hope karma took it into their own hands. But then she froze. Slowly opening her eyes, she glanced around the room. Her small collection of notes were gone again, but this time...

Her laptop lay on the floor, the screens nearly ripped apart, and covered in that horrible glitch meaning the screen was useless. Some keys had been broken off, most of the lights weren't even working.

The girl fell to her knees, a look of horror on her face. But she wasn't worried about what she had lost on her laptop. All her research had been on paper, and all school work was backed up on a USB; no, she was worried about one thing.

What would her father think?

Tears started to prick at her eyes, and she wondered if it was the fear of how he would react, or the realisation that her laptop had been destroyed. She scooted closer to the mess, picking up small pieces of the broken plastic and screen.

The thoughts that ran through her mind were endless. What if her father saw this? What would he think? What would he do?

Would he blame her for this? Would that make things worse? He was the one that had bought it for her, and he clearly resented the fact that she had it.

Would he be over the moon about this? It was the least likely of thoughts, considering he had wasted his money on it, and he understood she needed it for school.

Oh God what if he did suspect she broke it? What if he thought it was a sign of resilience or rebellion? A sign of defiance?

He had never hit her before, and she doubted he ever would; but that though also went through her mind. She shook her head as she carefully picked at the smaller pieces of technology, no way would he even think of hitting her.

But she raised her head slowly, her eyes lost in the worries that it might come to that. A breeze came through her window, gently cooling her flushed face, and the sound of paper moving made her head snap up.

A piece of paper was laying on her bed, slowly waving in the cool wind. Dropping all she had picked up, she snatched the paper from the weight of her pillow and held it up to her face. It was her scribble of the word 'PROXY', with the operator symbol through the 'O'. Why was this left here?

(Y/N) blinked, slowly lowering her hand. Was it one of the Proxies that had done this? Does this mean they existed? She turned her attention back to the laptop, to the keys that were still lit up. The girl studied them, the 'W', 'X', 'C', 'R', 'T', 'B', 'Y', 'O', 'P' and 'J'.

Her brain started turning in her mind. Random letters, but she could make out two words in them; one of them was the word Proxy, appearing again. The other...

(Y/N) had been reading about the workers for the Slenderman, there were three confirmed men who all did the monster's bidding. She didn't remember much in that moment, but she could swear the letters left behind spelt Toby. And she knows one of the members was called Tobias.

Was he the one behind this? And if so, how did he leave such a message behind? The girl sniffed, staring at the glowing letters in awe. There's no way someone could choose which letters would be lit up, not after smashing the laptop like this. Was this all a coincidence?

She blinked, before glancing back at the paper. Of all the notes, this was the only one being left behind. But why? Was it a warning? Was it Toby saying to stop? Did this confirm their existence?

A smile slowly spread across the girl's face, and she sat back against her bed. She was right. These people, these monsters were real. They were out to stop her from proving that fact. But that lead (Y/N) to come to a shocking and also embarrassing realisation.

Toby had been in her room. More than once.

Was he here now?

She raised her head to the window, feeling goose-bumps roll up her spine. Someone was watching her right now; the sudden feeling was too strong to ignore.

She got to her feet, keeping her (e/c) eyes on the window as she edged towards it. A shadow moved below the frame, and the girl froze. Oh God. Someone as out there. A murderer was out there.

Something bumped her leg and the girl jumped, falling to the ground with a thump. Harry was over her instantly, licking her face with a wagging tail. (Y/N) couldn't help but chuckle at him, giving the dog a pat on the head.

"Harry..." She said, before trying to push him away, "Stop it, I'm doing something."

The golden retriever tilted his head, before looking around the room and letting out a gruff. He headed towards the broken laptop and started sniffing at it, looking back at the girl with his tongue out.

Oh right, the laptop.

"Thanks Harry." She patted the dog's head, before she went back to picking up the mess. The girl did her best to ignore the bright lights coming from the keyboard, knowing full well who was at fault, and trying not to go back towards the window.

"(Y/N)." (Y/N) suddenly heard her father say, and footsteps sounded down the hall, "You better not be on that stupid laptop again."

A strike of panic went through her chest, and she looked around the room. She had to hide this mess. Right now. An idea popped into her mind and she shoved what she could under her bed, dusting away the smaller parts so that nothing was visible.

Once the laptop was under her bed, she pulled her hand back, only for it to get caught in the mess and a sharp piece of plastic to dig into her hand. (Y/N) hissed and pulled her hand back quickly, seeing a cut down her palm that started bleeding slowly.

The girl's bedroom door swung open and she raised her gaze to see her father standing in the doorway, his large build just fitting in the frame, blocking most of the light from the hallway. He looked like a shadow in front of her.

The man's eyes scanned the room, before finally finding her sitting on the floor, and a frown pulled at his face,

"Where's your laptop?" He asked, "And why are you on the floor?"

(Y/N) didn't say anything, instead turning her focus back to her hand, which started to drip blood onto the carpet. She tried putting pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding, but it didn't work.

"Answer me." Her father snapped, stepping into the room.

"I need the first aid kit..." She only said, standing and walking to the doorway.

The older man was about to ask what for, before he saw the blood running down his daughter's arm. He huffed, before stepping aside and letting her walk down the hall. She pushed past him, before hurrying into the kitchen where she grabbed a cloth and cleaned her arm.

Once the wound was clean, she wrapped it in gauze and tied it off around her wrist. The only thing she was thinking about was the laptop, and she hoped Harry wouldn't sniff it out and get her in trouble.

As she put the first aid kit back, her father called out her name. He sounded pissed.

"(Y/N)! Get here now!" His voice echoed down the hall, and the feeling of dread settled in her stomach.

-Oh shit...- Is all she thinks as she makes her way back toher room.