CHAPTER 37: DREY

Marley can't help the way he's shaking. Honestly, so much has happened he's having a hard time even comprehending it at this point. Marley is alive. Olucard is dead. Okay. So is the security guard.

Nero killed them.

Marley can hear his heartbeat in his ears, staring at the man before him. Nero stands there for a moment, looking at his bloodied hands. An aftershock jolts Marley, resulting in him gaining Nero's attention.

Shit, shit, shit...

What if he kills me too?

Marley's lip trembles as Nero turns to face him, glowing eyes staring right into Marley. He just stands there for a moment while Marley tries to figure out what to do here. This man... he just killed two people. There is blood all over the otherwise pristine flooring, and not even a quarter of it is Marley's.

The flickering red lights make Nero look like even more of a nightmare, and his previously tense posture starts to relax.

Marley watches the man's radiant form begin to dull, further and further until it's only a notch above his typical faint glow. His eyes stop looking like red LED headlights, and Marley eases a bit when he sees the usual warm crimson that they're supposed to be. Nero has succeeded in freeing his hands from the wires, so now they're just bloody. His hair is still static-spikey, though.

Marley's breathing quickly, heart rate through the roof. He's beginning to sweat a bit in anticipation for what Nero will do next. He's dangerous, that's for sure. He killed those people effortlessly... imagine how easy it would be for him to murder hundreds. Thousands.

Marley is frozen in fear even as Nero walks to his chair, disarming the cuffs and removing all of the wires that Trixie had attatched to the prince. Marley trembles through it all, afraid to move from his place even when Nero has finished.

The man backs up a few feet, then a few more. Marley can't look away from all of the blood and carnage on the floor. Slowly, he drags his gaze up to Nero.

When they meet eyes, Nero sinks to the ground so that he's on his knees, arms hanging loosely at his sides. There is no longer lightning crackling over his body. He's back to looking like himself. Well, aside from the overwhelming guilt on his face. Marley must look as scared as he feels.

"I-Marley... I'm so sorry." Nero apologizes. Marley watches as Nero raises a hand to run through his hair, looking at the ground. The lights flicker on, back to their usual white color.

"You shouldn't have had to see that, I just wanted it to stop. I..." He takes a shaky breath, closing his eyes. He rests his face in his hands. It's clear to Marley that he feels really, really bad. Though, not for the murders. He's upset that he's made Marley so frightened. He won't even look the prince in the eye.

It's then that it hits Marley. Nero is expecting Marley to treat him like everyone else here does. Like a hazard. Like some uncontrollable danger to society that needs to be put down.

Seeing two people get turned into near nothingness was... it was hard. Marley has never seen someone die before. However, Nero did what he felt was necessary to save Marley. Sure, he could have gone about it better, but he had good intentions. Also, he succeeded. Nero Accardi is the reason Marley's not dead.

Marley recalls what Rellik had put in his notes about Nero. Too dangerous to be released.

No. No. Nevermind. Marley was wrong. Nero's not dangerous. His abnormality is dangerous. It's not like he's some sort of rabid wild animal. That's something the people here don't understand.

If Nero was going to kill Marley, the prince would already be fucking dead. Nobody can say this man has no control. With that thought, any fear Marley had been feeling crumbles away.