Chapter 2 • Lunchtime

Ever since I was old enough to comprehend what I watched on television, I wanted to be a Top Coordinator.

While the thought of being able to partake in battles with my Pokémon as a career sounded exciting, getting to perform using their moves on stage while showing off my skills in battle at the same time sounded a lot more enticing. Of course, I enjoy battling with Prince; I've been in multiple Pokémon battles against fellow students ever since I got him. However, performing looked so much more fun and different. The only issue was that my family wasn't exactly on board with the idea of their son dressing up and showing off his Pokémon. According to them, coordinating was more of a feminine choice, which was something I never understood, even as a kid.

While most Coordinators were in fact girls, when I would watch their live performances on television, sometimes boys would also appear onscreen. They were always so elegant and held good composure, thus they interested and drew me in. If those guys could perform without any shame, then how come I couldn't as well?

Battling for badges was nowhere near as fascinating as the art of contests and battling for show in my eyes, and even after experiencing and enjoying battles at school, my views never changed. I have very high respect for trainers, but coordinating was more my style, and my family wasn't going to pull me away from that. I loved them all dearly.. but I simply didn't agree that I had to be a trainer. Charity got to take that path, and it was her decision. It was my turn to do what I wanted.

After my basic morning classes, Prince and I strolled down the hallway towards the open cafeteria near the front of the school in the first floor. I was free from my hefty backpack, which was left behind in my classroom. The loud chatter of students and Pokémon filled the air, echoing up and down the halls and intensifying the sound. I would occasionally flash a grin over at a passerby ((even with my dumb mask on)) in a polite manner if I made eye contact with them by accident, however I was focused on getting to the lunchroom. It was past noon, and Prince and I were starving.

     Eventually, my Water-type and I arrived in the massive room. The high ceiling with its fluorescent lights towered over the many students and Pokémon eating or walking around. A pair of double doors against the far wall opened up to the courtyard outside, where I spotted Daniel and Ava sitting on a bench at a table with another friend of ours: a girl and her Croagunk, named Lillian and Wade respectively. I knew exactly where I was going to sit once I got some food.

     Prince and I sat through the long lunch line of students, and once we finally got our food — which consisted of a delicious-smelling stew and some soft Pokéfood pellets ((everyday I'm grateful that my school's lunches aren't that bad)) — and paid, we made our way over to the open doorway with a full tray. When my Piplup and I stepped out into the open sunshine, Lillian and her Croagunk noticed me immediately.

     "Hey, Gabe," the brunette greeted coolly as I slid into the open spot beside Daniel, who was busy biting down onto a loaf of bread. Ava said hello with a chirp, while Wade croaked with a mischievous smile.

     "Hey, Lillian," I replied. I picked Prince up off the ground and set him down beside me. The food provided for him was in a little bowl, so I placed it on the table in front of him and he happily started digging in. "You guys ready for battle training after lunch?"

     Daniel hummed while nodding. Lillian made the same gesture with her head. "I'm excited to be able to do it another time," she said. "Last week Wade and I lost horribly.. We wanna do better this time." The brunette's tone was, as always, calm and collected. One of our teachers in the past claimed that her nature reminded them of a Unovian snake-like Pokémon named Snivy.

     "I'm sure you guys will," I pointed out, pulling down my mask and scooping up a spoonful of dark-colored stew. It looked unappetizing, however the smell and taste both said otherwise. "You're one of the best battlers I know — you and Daniel. You'll kick the others' butts, I'm positive."

     Lillian flashed a small smile. "Thanks, Gabe," she said. Her Croagunk ate his food rather sloppily as she picked up her milk carton and took a thoughtful sip. "Are you and Prince ready to battle too? You didn't do too shabby last time."

     "Yeah! We may have still lost, but I wanna give it another go," I replied before blowing lightly on my spoon and eating another mouthful of stew.

     "Hopefully we aren't paired together," Daniel spoke up. "I wouldn't mind battling you guys, but I really wanna take on someone else. I've been trying new tactics against Electric-types with Ava, and I wanna put them to the rest. So many students here either have a Shinx or a Luxio."

     I nodded in understanding. The lynx Pokémon was rather popular as a beginning partner in Jubilife City. Even my older sister chose one for her first Pokémon. It made having a Water-type as my starter a bit difficult at times. "Yeah, but if we do get paired up, then I won't go easy on either of you."

     "I hope not." Lillian set her milk down and gazed at me. "I'd rather have you give it your all then go easy on me because I'm a friend."

     "Me too," Daniel chimed in, smiling. Ava cooed, clearly agreeing with her trainer.

     "Good." I nodded before returning to eating. The six of us continued to hang out and chat before it was finally time to head over to the school's outdoor battlefields.