Prologue • An Odd Friend

When I was little, I saw a strange Pokémon.

It was in the summertime, and my parents decided to one day visit Lake Verity just outside of Twinleaf Town for the day. It was a warm and breezy day, so my older sister, Charity, and I went swimming for the majority of our time there. It was fun — from what I could recall — but what really stuck with me that day was the strange friend that I'd made.

I had wandered away into from my sister when she met up with one of her school friends into the nearby woods that stretched out around the radius of the clear and naturally-beautiful lake. The local wildlife intrigued me, and I had followed a Starly into the forest until I lost track of it and realized that I couldn't retrace my steps. Being only seven at the time, I was both afraid and oddly excited, as the predicament felt like a little adventure.

So, while I tried maneuvering my way back, I was sure to take in the forest with all of its sights and sounds. It was pretty, to say the least, and I enjoyed my little trip until I tripped my ankle on a vine of thorns.

I had fallen and scraped my knee, and it was then I started to get scared and upset. Despite it only being a minor wound, my leg hurt so badly that it was difficult to stand. I sat for a while, crying and wanting to find my parents and sister again, when a strange phenomenon took place.

When I wiped my eyes and looked up, through my teary vision I spotted the shadow of a stranger amongst the overgrowth ahead of me. I was afraid, however my curious spirit got the best of me, so I spoke out to them.

"H-hello?"

The stranger turned to me and stared with a pair of brilliant golden eyes. Those pair of eyes are a sight I don't think I'll ever forget, as they filled me with both awe and a strange feeling of comfort. It was unexplainable.

Hello! Are you lost, cutie?

A strange, echoey voice had filled my head, however I responded to the creature normally. My parents told me that some Pokémon had the ability to talk using a power called telepathy.

"Y-yeah.." I said, my throat slightly raw from my short-lived crying session. "Who are you? Can you help me?"

The shadow began to approach me in a swift and elegant manner. It was then I realized that the creature was some kind of Pokémon with the power to fly, but it didn't have any wings. When the light revealed its lanky, two-tailed form, I gaped in a wondrous awe.

The Pokémon was unlike any I'd ever seen. It was rather small and light blue in color, with a pink-colored face and a red gem embedded in its forehead. Four long pink appendages protruded from the back of its head, and its bright golden eyes were alight with curiosity and excitement. Was it.. glad to see me? I wasn't sure at the time.

I can help you! the Pokémon replied, their mouth unmoving. The creature's voice sounded feminine, so I assumed that it was probably a girl — if it even had a gender. I saw which way you came from, so I could take you back to your parents. I'm sure they're worried for you.

I wiped my pale blue eyes again before they lit up in happiness. "Thank you!" I said, the stinging pain in my knee still present, but now ignored since it died down. I pushed myself up to my feet and tilted my head at the Pokémon, who watched me with a smile. "I-I'm Gabriel. What's your name?"

The creature tipped their head. Gabriel.. What a nice name! They cooed vocally, however their voice was still in the back of my head. My name is Mesprit! I live here at the lake. I usually don't show myself to people, but you're so cute! So when I saw you all sad, I wanted to help.

I had ducked my head bashfully when Mesprit referred to me as "cute." At least they were kind enough to show themself to me. "Thank you for helping me," I said, shuffling my feet. "Um, so.. which way do we go?"

Right! We go this way. But first.. Mesprit pointed to their right with one of their tails, however they turned and looked down at my bleeding knee after doing so. You look like you hurt yourself. Here — let me heal you!

"Heal.. me?" I glanced down at my knee, then back up at the floating Pokémon with wide eyes. "You can fix my knee?"

Mesprit giggled and nodded. Mhm! Let me show you!

I then stood still and watched in awe as the Pokémon approached me. They had stretched their hands out towards my injured knee, which caused a strange, comfortable yellow aura to overcome it. A warm, kind sensation reverberated through my knee, and in the blink of an eye, my scrape was miraculously gone.

"Whoa.." I breathed before looking at Mesprit with sparkles in my eyes. "That was so cool! Thank you for fixing my knee, Mesprit!"

Mesprit giggled again. Of course, cutie! they replied. Then, they beckoned me with their tails. Now, your parents are this way.

After Mesprit brought me to the edge of the forest, they pointed out my mom and dad, who had been frantically calling and searching for me. Charity and our parents' Pokémon, an Empoleon named Queen and a Gastrodon named Marina, had been helping them, my mom's great penguin Pokémon seen swimming through the lake. After Mesprit had pointed out my family, I thanked them again, however after they said their final words, they vanished before I could look at them again. It was then my sister spotted me, alone at the edge of the lake's woods.

I'll never forget that day. Through my parents' thorough scolding for wandering off from Charity, I told them about Mesprit, however they didn't believe me. As much as they tried to sound intrigued, the belief that a mythical Pokémon led me out of the forest was unthinkable. At the time, I was frustrated because I didn't understand, but as I grew older, I didn't blame Mom and Dad for not believing their imaginative seven year old son.

I didn't tell anyone after that, however every time we visited the lake after that fateful summer day, I would try to seek out and find Mesprit again. I can still remember the words they uttered before disappearing into thin air.

I'm sure we'll meet again, Gabriel!

Even as I'm older, I'll never once doubt the words of a mythical psychic Pokémon.