Scene 10

Detective Decker had left Azazel in front of Lux and driven away. She had insisted on coming up to the penthouse with Azazel, but the young celestial had stopped her. The wound was healing nicely, even if it still hurt, but it wouldn't get better any faster with the detective pestering her. Especially considering that Lucifer might be there. She didn't want to be around for that reunion. There would be too many fuzzy feelings involved for her to handle in a graceful manner.

Azazel had given a quick glance to the club and gone directly to the elevator. For Lux it was a normal day. Those people wouldn't have to worry about demons rising from Hell or getting shot, at least whilst in the club. They wouldn't have to worry about anything, Lux was a safe space to unwind and have a good time. That was the feedback Azazel had been getting the last few months from customers. She guessed that meant she was doing a good job.

The elevator reached the penthouse and opened its doors. Lucifer, who had been sitting on the sofa drinking some strong alcohol, jumped up and walked to Azazel. He went to reach for her arm to help her walk to the sofa but he stopped, hesitating. Azazel stopped a bit taken aback and quickly waved him off, walking by herself to the sofa and dropping there. Lucifer straightened himself and cleared his throat. "Right," he said to himself, as if that would put an end to his current train of thought. "Are you alright?" He asked as he walked to the bar and quickly got a drink for her. When it was done, he walked over to Azazel.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I just have some extra ventilation." She took the glass he was offering, wincing a bit when she rose her arm.

He sat on a chair opposite of her and sighed. "You said you had no powers," he said, "Amenadiel went through the same ordeal once."

She scoffed and took a sip. "I doubt the perfect son went through this."

But Lucifer insisted. "Some time ago, Amenadiel thought he didn't deserve to have powers or wings, and he lost them. But when he thought he was ready to regain them, they just reappeared. It's all in your head."

"That's a beautiful story, but it has a little flaw," she said, laying back and looking at the ceiling . She didn't want to see the look of pity Lucifer was surely going to throw her way. "I don't have powers. I've never had them. And I didn't lose my wings, they were carved out."

"What do you mean you never had powers. And who cut your wings?" He demanded, getting angry on her behalf.

"Mikael did, which is why is not that much fun to see you either, considering you two share faces. Granted, he looks a bit more psychotic than you..." she said, "And I never had powers to begin with. I don't think dad was able to give me any. That's what happens when He does things on His own: they are flawed from the very beginning. At least the lot of you chose to be stupid over the millennia, rebelling or becoming jerks. I was fucked from the very beginning. Like everything in this stupid earth of His."

Lucifer stared at her, he didn't know what to say, but the silence pushed her to keep speaking her mind.

"After figuring out I was... broken, he pushed me away. Never gave me a role in the Silver City. All my siblings looked down on me and He never said anything about that. Maybe He expected me to simply evaporate if I was ignored long enough. When I was sent here it was almost funny, despite how tragic it was. I can actually do things here. I'm not useless. I can make a life for myself. People respect me." She nodded to herself, thinking, while she stared at her glass. "I'll show Him how wrong he was to underestimate me." She downed the rest of her drink in one gulp.

He was about to speak up, maybe give a word of comfort. He wasn't sure what he wanted to say, but he wanted to reach out and show her that he had felt that along once too. So full of resentment and bitterness, but somehow he had grown past it, and she could too. But her phone went off and she picked up.

"Who's this?" Azazel asked.

"Azazel, it's Chloe," the detective said on the other side of the phone.

"Detective," Azazel repeated, trying to be calm. Lucifer had perked up his head and was now looking straight at Azazel, as if he could see the detective through her.

"I just wanted to check on you. Are you alright?" Chloe asked.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm alright," Azazel sighed. "Did you hear anything else from Patrick?"

"No, I was going to get some rest. You were right. I'm rushing this... You ended up getting shot because of me. I'm sorry."

"Well, you didn't shoot me so I don't know why you're apologising," Azazel joked and heard the detective chuckle. "So you're going home?"

"Yeah, I was just getting hom—" the detective stopped talking, but Azazel could hear her hurried steps and heavy breathing.

"Detective, is everything alright?"

"Trixie!" Detective Decker called, but there didn't seem to be any answer.

Azazel frowned and laid more attention to the sounds on the other side of the phone. Detective Decker seemed to be running around her house looking for her daughter. "Detective?!"

There was another beat of silence and finally Chloe answered. "Trixie is missing."

"What do you mean?"

"The place is trashed and Maze is unconscious. I can't find Trixie anywhere."

The words Belial had said when he had decided not to kill Azazel resonated in her head: I'm not here for you. Who was here for then? Trixie? Azazel shook her head. Belial had no use for a child. According to Mazikeen the only thing Belial truly liked was Hell, so it didn't make sense for him to pop up to Earth to kill Trixie. That felt too random. But if he loved Hell, he would want to protect it, and that meant keeping Lucifer, its king, there. And the only thing that would make Lucifer want to come back to Earth wasn't Trixie.

"Detective," Azazel said, "I think we know who did it... and why."

"Belial," the detective said.

"He's going to use Trixie to kill you," Azazel dared to say.

Lucifer set his jaw, stood up and went directly to the balcony, unfolding his white huge wings and flying off to find the demon and stop him from murdering the woman he loved.

I hope you like how this is turning out. Vote and leave a comment to share your support, it really means a lot to me!