Scene 7

"You can't tell the detective that I'm here," Lucifer repeated.

Azazel rubbed her face. "Can you tell me again? I didn't understand the first fifty times." The door to the police station opened as two officers left, and Azazel turned away to hide her conversation from prying ears.

"You can't tell her."

"I wasn't planning to. I'll just make something up."

"You're going to lie to her?" His voice was full of surprise, as if the mere thought of lying —or maybe just lying to the detective— disgusted him.

"Lucifer, I'm an angel, not a saint. Yes, I'm going to lie to the detective. I don't really have another choice, now, do I?"

He didn't answer, giving her the response she was waiting for anyways.

"I have to go," she said, "I'm starting to look suspicious. Or at least weird. Make sure Lux is still standing when I get back; this little adventure of yours is taking me from too many meetings."

"Call me after."

"Don't be clingy."

She hung up, leaving Lucifer mid-word. He stared at his phone, offended. "I'm not clingy," he defended himself as he finished fixing himself a drink and leaving the business in the hands of Azazel, but he couldn't stop thinking about it. How would detective Decker react to his sister? And how would she be? Was she still thinking about him? He certainly did, especially since he left in such a hurry right after confessing his love to her.

Azazel walked into the building without paying much attentions to the receptionists. She had discovered that most of the time no one stopped you in the world if you seemed sure about where you were going, so she held herself high and walked straight to were she knew the detective worked. Detective Decker had brought her once after she was dropped off at the beach by Raphael to get a somewhat convincing statement. The detective had written the statement without Azazel's help. She had made up every single word in it. That's when Azazel had learned that sometimes you had to bend the truth to protect people.

She stopped before the detective's desk, who took a second too long to notice Azazel. She lifted her yes slowly and traced her figure till they landed on her face. "Azazel?"

"Detective."

Chloe smiled sadly. She was used to Lucifer calling her detective too. Both of them did it out of respect, but with Lucifer that name carried a certain intimacy. From Azazel's lips, though, it came out cold, as if she were keeping her distance.

"Are you okay? Did something happen?" Chloe asked.

"I don't know," Azazel said, "Did it?"

Chloe frowned and smiled at the same time. She had come to accept that Azazel had certain quirks, so to speak. She had attributed them to having being raised in Heaven, away from social conventions and normal conversations. But they never failed to surprise her. "No? Why?"

Azazel shrugged trying to appear cool and failing. "I've had this... feeling, I guess, these last couple of days. As if something that's not supposed to be here, is here..." She waited to see if the detective was following her, but her face didn't change.

"This feeling that you've got," Chloe said, "Is it based on something?"

"What do you mean?"

"Have you heard something? Seen something?" She asked. "Have you talked to someone?" Chloe wondered if Azazel's feeling was merely a hunch or if she knew anything about what was actually happening. Maybe she even had something to do with it and now was having regrets.

She puckered her lips pensive and shook her head slowly. "Nope. It's just a feeling."

Chloe nodded. "I think you are right." She turned the file she was reading and showed it to Azazel. "Jeffrey Griggs. 45. He was killed yesterday after being tortured for hours."

Azazel grabbed the report and started to skim over it. She flinched when she read the description of the body and she didn't have the heart to turn the paper to look at the pictures. This was the weird murder Mazikeen had suggested. This was Belial's handy work. "Are there any suspects?"

"One," she said as she took another picture from her desk and handed it to Azazel. It was the CCTV image of the warehouse at the moment the guy was coming out of the building. His face could be seen pretty clearly despite the bad quality. "The thing is, he was dead."

"A demon possessed him," Azazel said.

"I think so. Of course we can't exactly say that, so the working theory is that he faked his own death. Ella went to pick up his files from the morgue. Once we have his name and picture we can look for him."

"You don't need his file to ID him," Azazel said, staring at the picture of the murderer. "I can tell you his name."

"You know him?"

"This is Patrick Brown. He's the guy who took me to the hospital when I was left here."