Scene 1

Quick footsteps and short conversations were the law of the hospital halls while, in the rooms, the monitoring systems beeped asynchronously, making the music from Bosco's Garden of Earthly Delights sound melodious in comparison. Apart from the nurses and doctors that roamed the floor, three police officers were on the scene: two guarding the door and one inside, trying to take the statement of the particularly reserved young woman.

Officer Lance, a woman that was closer to her retirement than to her rookie days, sighed, starting to lose her patience. The young woman, who had identified herself earlier as Azazel in a shy little whisper, was refusing treatment.

The man that had gotten around to tending to Azazel was Nurse Jack, who had been good enough at negotiating with her that she had allowed him to bandage her back, but she had drawn the line on being poked and prodded. Nurse Jack tried to explain in a calm voice how important it was that she got a proper check-up, but Azazel waved him away, gently but dismissively. Nurse Jack joined the officer in her defeated sigh and went away to get the discharge papers set up.

Azazel looked up at the officer, as she was the only person remaining between her and being allowed to leave.

"Azazel, are you sure you don't want to press any charges?" the officer asked.

Azazel shook her head slowly. "I am."

Officer Lance glanced at her little notepad. She would have to write a report anyways, and even if she was planning on writing a quick one, she wanted to get it right. "Patrick tells me you said your father did this to you," she said.

"Who is Patrick?" Azazel asked, frowning.

The officer pointed to Patrick, the midnight walker who had found her not too long ago. He was standing in the middle of the hall outside her room; an obstacle that the busy people of the hospital had to swerve to avoid.

"Patrick Brown. The stoner," Officer Lance said, "He said you were calling for a... Raphael..." She rose her eyes from her notes and locked them with Azazel's. "Is Raphael your father?"

Azazel shook her head, almost disgusted. "Brother," she quickly corrected.

"So who did that to you?" Officer Lance continued, "Your father or your brother?"

"It doesn't matter," Azazel told her.

Officer Lance lowered her notepad. She kept thinking Azazel was making a mistake not telling her, and it filled her with pity. "Azazel, talk to me," she said, "If you're worried they'll come back for you, we can protect you."

Azazel scoffed, knowing she was the only one who understood how unlikely both of those two were: Raphael coming back for her and the police being able to protect her.

"I just want to find my brother," Azazel said.

"Raphael?" Officer Lance presumed.

"No, not Raphael," Azazel said.

Officer Lance waited with anticipation. Maybe the other brother would testify against the father and Raphael, and she would be able to get the bastards who had done this to the poor girl. Maybe she would be able to get a little justice for the sins committed against Azazel.