chapter 6 the deal

Liam felt guilty about what his friends are doing. But if he had not interfered Julia would be in the hands of Mc Kenzie who has a reputation of an ax-wielding machine. Mc Kenzie always regaled them of his exploits by identifying virgins in their school and making it his goal to be the first one to cut the cherry in half or as he explicitly said cutting the wood in half thereby earning him the title ax-wielding machine in their group.

Julia has been Mc Kenzie's latest interest. Julia was walking past them when Mc Kenzie noticed her. He has not noticed her or any of the other boys in their group. It was only Mc Kenzie who followed her progress as she walked past them. Julia has not even look their way, she was focused on her notes as she hurriedly walked to her next class. 

But Mc Kenzie seems to zero in on girls who are shy, timid, meek or geek.  According to him what these girls need is a bit of loving and that is what he is giving them. He takes pride in dating them and be the first to have a taste of these girls.

When Liam noticed Mc Kenzie looking lecherously at Julia he felt a little protective of her. She's not the cheerleader kind of beauty but there's something about her that he felt that should be protected by the likes of Mc Kenzie. So he intervened and now he felt that he is just as under the spell as Mc Kenzie is to the power that one gets when one can tame a lion. Well that is an outrageous comparison. 

Julia was shy when he first met her and he thought that he can easily date her but as it turned out she was hell-bent on thwarting his every move and now she becomes his favorite pastime. So far his interactions with her always bordered on something ridiculous or outrageous. She brought out the playful side of him. 

"So Liam, what do you wanna talk with the group?" Mc Kenzie asked as he settled himself in the stool that Liam placed in the gazebo. 

"I have noticed you taking a picture of me and Julia at the mall, so maybe I would like to know why?" he asked. 

"How good is she in the kissing department?" One of his friends asked. But the others just laughed as Liam struggled to answer. 

"Common Liam, don't be shy on us," Mc Kenzie said as he laughed and shared the photos with the others. 

"It is not about being shy, but it was not part of the bargain you know," Liam added somewhat worried as his friends are passing the photos around to have a look at him and Julia. 

"Why are you making a big deal of it, when you have already openly "expressed your feelings" to her". Mc Kenzie said. 

"The bet was if you can get your ex back to you by wooing Julia but as it happens your ex has moved on and did not even spare you a second look. So we decided that maybe sharing those photos will get your girl back." The group laughed when Mc Kenzie said the last line. 

"But guys it would be unfair to Julia, what would she think if she will see those pictures online," Liam said worriedly. "It wasn't part of the agreement." 

"Remember though Liam that it was me who was interested in Julia in the first place but you insisted on using her to your advantage and now that we are helping you, you cry wolf? You are not being reasonable." Mc Kenzie added feigning hurt by the whole situation. 

"The stakes are now high though since we captured that kiss you two have in the department store we have raised the bet." One of his friends said. 

"What do you mean?" Liam asked as he took the drink that was passed around. 

"If you can get her to be your girlfriend you can have the ten-percent of the bet," Leonard said. 

 "But the rest is when you can get her to bed you." Mc Kenzie added. "It would really be a test if you can get a shy girl to open up and bed you. I know I can." 

"Your ego Mc Kenzie is bigger than these school buildings combined," Liam said. "I think we just stick to the girlfriend bet?" Liam suggested. 

"No...," Echoed his friends. "That would be easy enough". 

Liam knew he could never hurt Julia. Yes he is being a pest but he enjoyed irking her, seeing the blush that would make her face glow and the sparkle in her eyes when she would get mad at him. But bedding her to win a bet is not on his agenda. 

The group laughed when Liam uttered those words. "No, getting her to be your girlfriend would be easy now. But bedding her is where the fun is. Besides, that was my target when you suddenly came upon the idea of using her to get back your ex." Mc Kenzie lamented. 

"What do you say mates?" Mc Kenzie asked the group.

"Agreed!" the boys laughed as they passed the beer bottles around. 

"Shit how much do I have to lose now?" Liam asked in mock defeat. 

"And if Liam couldn't get her, then let's triple the bet and see if I can make my moves with her within two weeks," Mc Kenzie suggested. 

"Well, well, well isn't that going to be fun," Liam said for he confidently knew that Julia wouldn't be fooled for the likes of Mc Kenzie.