chapter 5 the kiss

"Hi, there sweetheart," Liam said as he catches up with her. Julia was walking towards the department store where her mother had asked her to buy the golden colored cloth for the golden wedding anniversary they would be catering to. 

"If you're here just to annoy me, please stop. I don't have time for it," she replied. She walked faster than necessary just to let him know that she simply doesn't have time for his antics.

"Okay, I wouldn't be annoying this time. I'm here to help. Leni told me where you will be so I decided to come and assist you." Liam smiled at her showing her his dimples.

"Well, if that is what you want this time then I would be very glad of your help." Julia smiled to herself imagining Liam carrying sixty meters of cloth. Hmm.. this could be fun.

As they made their way to the department store Liam stops at the burger and lemonade stand and offered to buy for them both. Julia was just too happy for she is hungry too. 

"What is it you're buying here?" Liam asked. 

"A cloth for the golden wedding anniversary that we will be hosting," Julia answered. 

"I wonder how a marriage could last that long?" Liam asked as he took a bite from his burger. 

"If my dad hasn't died of cancer I guess my parents would happily reached that milestone on their marriage," Julia wistfully said. 

"Why would you say that?" Liam asked.

"My memories of my dad would always be his arms around my mother and kissing her when they're together," Julia said remembering the happy times when her father was alive.

"You're lucky you still have both of your parents," Julia said. 

"My mom and dad are divorced. My dad is living in New York with a new girl I've heard." Liam said unaffectedly. But Julia can feel the hurt in his voice. 

"I'm sorry to hear that," Julia said and touched Liam's arm. 

"It's okay. My mom had moved on since then. Ronnie is a great guy." Liam said

"What about your sister the one who got married is she your biological sister?" she asked.

"No, she's Ronnie's first wife. We didn't truly connect. She was in college when her dad married my mom, so there was no sibling rivalry there, but sometimes I wonder how it would have been if dad was there for me, although Ronnie is great but it would be different to have you real dad in the house," Liam confessed. 

"Sometimes things just don't go in our favor. My dad died when I was twelve. At least in your case, you can still talk to him and hug him, I think you just have to be content with that." Julia offered. 

After a few seconds, Liam looked at their table, and seeing that they are done, he stood up and motioned for her to follow. They took the turn for the elevator that would get them on the third floor. Once on the third floor she went straight to the cloth section. Liam, on the other hand, went straight to the gaming section. 

Julia looked at the array of cloth and choose the one that has the right shade her mother wanted to have. She put her order to the girl manning the section and paid cash. Her mother is one of those advocates who doesn't believe in credit cards. 

Julia then looked for Liam and saw him standing next to a computer stall looking at the array of gadgets displayed on its window. She was glad that he turned his head in her direction just as she was about to go to him.

"Ready, to go?" he mouthed the words since he is a little farther from her. 

"Yes, please," she replied and using her hand to motion him to come.  When Liam reached her she pointed at the huge stack of cloth by the door carefully wrapped in plastic with the logo of the store. 

Liam then looked at the huge bulk and then turned to look at her and asked, "This, is what you call a parcel?" 

"Aha.." she said sweetly at him. 

"Thank you for carrying them for me." She said as she turns to go but looks back at him to see that he did so.

"Oh, common honey, you can lift and carry it, what are those muscles for." She said and wink at him. 

But the gleam of mischief in her eyes told Liam that she is playing with him. So he runs after her when he noticed that she was walking fast to get to the elevator. 

But he catches up with her and drags her to the nearest hallway that is out of the way and pin her to the wall. Julia was still laughing and he was laughing with her too. When they have caught their breath. 

Liam stated. "So that is why you didn't resist my coming with you. Because you have planned it already to use me to carry your sixty-meter of cloth." 

"Guilty, but we can ask the help of their staff if it's too much for you" Julia said. 

But Liam was not listening instead he was looking at her lips when she said those words. Then, he touched her face with his hand and when she didn't resist he put his lips to her cheek, she didn't recoil from him this time so he moved his lips closer until he is tasting her on his lips. 

Julia wasn't sure what she is feeling. It feels like she's on cloud nine. Liam's lip on hers feels great. But before she can analyze anything Liam breaks the kiss and said. "Let's go".