Essay: "The Pandemic's Silver Linings"

According to the daily updates of The Department of Health, confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Philippines has increased to more than 70,000 before July ends. It has been months since the lockdowns were implemented, but confirmed COVID-19 cases are continuously rising.

Months ago, when the virus was beginning to spread to other countries, leaders belittled it. They did not take this seriously. Consequently, two positive cases from China were in the country and everything got worse from there. Imagine the coronavirus outbreak as a little hole in your shirt, but you ignored it. After a while, the hole got bigger until it was ripped open. A hole that could have been prevented if you stitched it immediately the moment you saw it. Our leaders disregarded a problem that could have been prevented if they canceled incoming flights from different countries.

The coronavirus affected all of us. It became everyone's enemy. A virus that changed not only our lives but also the way we live our life. It made our everyday routines different and difficult. We are forced to study or work indoors. Imprisoning us to our own homes. Most people's businesses were forced to close due to lockdowns. Leaving them and their employees with no source of income, causing financial hardship to a majority of parents. For this reason, other parents decided not to enroll their children in online classes.

Meanwhile, others sold or traded some of their stuff to purchase the needed equipment for online classes. Such as computers or smartphones, internet connection, a microphone, and a webcam. For students, like me, who enrolled, we have to prepare ourselves to adapt to the new normal. This will be difficult because not all students are fast-learners. If some students barely understood other lessons during face to face classes, what more if it will be online? Others did not enroll because they would rather delay their graduation instead of graduating with minimal knowledge and experience. Although I cannot blame them; online class is not suitable to everyone. I guess this is what they called the survival of the fittest.

We lost the moments that could make our days remarkable as a student: waiting for the school service early in the morning, reporting in front of the class, performing role-plays, showcasing talents, group works, eating with your friends during break time, joining club activities. The pandemic stole these moments away from us.

Even though many would consider that the pandemic is a curse, I think it is a blessing in disguise to some extent. It gave me a different perspective on how it affects my home, my community, and my future. I have thought about our lives before the quarantine. Most of us are too busy with work or school, we barely had time to bond with our own families. This made our home just a house where we stay, sleep, and eat. Due to lockdowns, we now have plenty of time to stay in our homes, growing closer to our families.

This pandemic also made me realize what kind of community the Philippines has. Besides working from home, most Filipinos found other solutions to earn money indoors. They used social media to sell foods, snacks, or beverages. They also sell other stuff like pre-owned computers or face masks. I admire how resourceful they are and tried to find a way to survive instead of weeping in their homes feeling hopeless. Filipinos are not quitters, but fighters. I also respect and support those people who participated in rallies; voicing and justifying human rights. It is such a courageous act to go out there despite the pandemic and the fact that the anti-terrorism bill is now implemented.

Before this pandemic, I and my fellow students, we have our own plans and dreams for our future. Some of us were uncertain and were still figuring out what do we want to be. The future is now indefinite. Nobody can predict or know for sure when will this virus end. We will never know when will we finally feel safe. However, this chaos should not hold me captive with fear. It is not enough reason for me to stop hoping to achieve my dreams. Maybe things did not go as planned, but the goals and dreams should still stay. We are still going to achieve them; we are just going to do it differently. We have to learn how to adapt to the new difficult way. With enough determination, I know that we could get through this. Perseverance will be our key to success.

This chaos showed me the importance of family, this chaos proved that our community is strong, this inspired me to fight. The pandemic does not own my ambitions, I do. The pandemic could be a barrier to one's future. But as a student, I choose to break through it. This does not only apply to students but to all of us who are affected. The future could be indefinite, but I hope that someday, I could tell people, maybe my children, that I have been here. That I am not just a victim but I am also a survivor.