Part 8- Show Don't Tell

OK. I'm sure that at least some of you have hear the phrase "Show, don't tell." Some of you may have heard the song "Show Me!" from My Fair Lady.

Basically, writing is about reading. The reader of the story knows less than you think. Anyway, your story sounds a lot better if you use real descriptions of a character, rather than just saying:

"I'm a socilly (sic) awkward penguin lul." Maybe SHOW her being awkward, or write a scene where she butchers a conversation. It's not that easy.

While on this topic, don't just start of the entire story with:

"My name is Emma Anderson. I used to live in (insert small town in rural state), but just yesterday I moved to London. I have foot-length pink hair (it's natural) and weigh 93.25 pounds. I am exactly five point one eleven feet tall, and wear a size six shoe."I get you want to introduce the character, but NO! This is a story, not a census form. It's a lot easier and nicer-looking to gradually introduce her character throughout the first few chapters. Of course, you'll want her name and all through the summary or somewhere in the first chapter, but don't outright have her say it.

Also, can I have a moment to say, do all girls between the ages of nineteen and twenty three move to London at some point? Because it certainly seems like it... Like seriously stop. Can't she have lived in London all her life? Yeah, see. BRILLIANT <3

Well I'm freaking tired because I had to take care of a bunch of children that named me as their Queen, So I'll see you later.

ALSO, YOUTUBE REWIND OH MY GOD WHAT. DAN AND PHIL THOUGH XD.

-Coraline <3