How Much am I Willing to Give?

Ben had just left our place of work. It was back to the four of us. Rami and Joe exchanged confused looks as Lucy came to my side.

"Are you okay?" She whispered to me.

"No. I'm really not." I replied.

"Okay. What the hell just happened?" Rami asked out loud.

"Yeah, Valentina, what's Ben talking about? What did he mean when he said he was going to tell everyone about your "problem"? What problem?" Joe began asking questions.

"Uh- w-well..." I stammered.

"Do you actually owe that creep money? If so, what for?" Joe continued.

"I-I..." That was all I got out before I ran to the back of the store and shut the door.

I started crying.

What was I going to do?

Everyone was going to ridicule me after this.

Much worse ridicule than I had gotten for my birthmark or my accent or any of those stupid things before. This was much more serious.

There was a knock at the door.

"Lucy, I want to be by myself right now-"

"It's me." The words came from Joe's voice.

I took a deep breath and opened the door. Joe came in and closed it behind him.

"Hey. What's going on. Don't cry. Just talk to me." He spoke gently.

"Joe, you don't understand."

"What don't I understand?" He asked, softly.

"It's just that...I don't know how to tell you..." I admitted, looking away from him.

"You can tell me anything. I don't care what it is - I will not think any less of you." He assured me.

"You don't know that for sure..." I argued.

"Valentina, yes I do. I'd never think of you as anything but the beautiful, smart, funny, sweet, and talented girl that you are."

I almost smiled. Almost.

It was hard not to frown at a time like this.

"Joe?"

"What is it, Valentina? Tell me."

I was going to have to tell him. It was better he hear it from me than from people at school tomorrow.

"Well, the truth is...I've been taking-"

I was interrupted by my phone vibrating in my pocket. I took it out to see who it was. Normally I wouldn't have done this, but I was nervous that Ben may have already started telling people and maybe I was getting hate messages already. Usually, one would want to look away...but I just had to see.

"Sorry...let me see what this is..." I apologized to Joe.

It was a text...

A text from Ben...

Ben

Don't want me to tell people? Meet me in the park after work.

Oh my gosh...

He's giving me another chance?

What is it he wants from me at the park though?

"Valentina, you okay?" I heard Joe ask.