Begging and Shivering

I had just asked Ben if I could speak to him. He folded his arms and cocked his head to the side.

"And just why should I even give you a second of my time?" He asked, not pleased with my presence.

"Ben, look, I'm sorry if I turned everyone against you but you really did hurt me that day when you brought up my mom. Also, you had no right to show up to Joe's party with those guys like that - especially with beer." I countered.

"You know, you're not helping your case here. All I hear is you blaming me." Ben responded.

"Ok, ok, fine. Listen. I-I...need your help." I said, shaking.

Ben squinted his eyes. "Are you...sweating?"

"Yeah...and shivering."

"Mhm...I see." Ben replied.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, slightly defensively

"Well, you say you need my help, you've got sweats with the chills...and let me guess you've also been unable to sleep?"

"How did you know I haven't slept?" I questioned.

"You've got bags under your eyes the size of watermelons, Valentina. So, I think I am safe to assume that you ran out of whatever painkiller you were taking...right?" Ben asked me quietly, making sure no one heard.

I shook my head in the affirmative. I felt so much shame.

"So, what makes you think I'd help you?" Ben asked, laughing.

"Ben, please. P-please. I am here, in front of you, trembling and honestly about to cry. I'll admit it. I'm literally about to fucking c-cry. I'm not proud. I will admit it. I've lost my pride. Please, just help me. I know you can. I know you that know people who can get me what I need. Ben, you're my friend...well...we were friends and I'd like for us to go back to being friends. Come on...help me." I pleaded, tears welling up in my tired eyes.

"You just want to be friends with me again so you can get you hands on some fucking drugs." Ben snapped as he began to turn away. I grabbed his arm.

"Please! Please, you don't know how desperate I am. I've never felt so miserable. I'm sorry for whatever I did. I'm sorry for anything I did. I need you. I-I need you..." I let my voice trail off as I had begun to cry.

"Oh for fucks sake" Ben muttered under his breath. He took me by the shoulders and guided me toward the cafeteria since the bell was ringing. He knew nobody would be in there.

"Okay, look, would you just calm down?"

"Ben, do you know people? I know you do. Don't you? Please tell me you do-"

"Yes! Yes! I know people." Ben sighed. He took a seat at a table and motioned for me to sit next to him.

"So, what is it that you're looking to get?" He asked me, looking straight into my eyes.

"V-vicodin." I finally confessed as I pulled my sweaty hair up into a messy bun.

"Where did you get it in the first place?" He questioned with much curiosity.

"Long story short - I accidently brought my aunt's medication back with me to the states. She has arthritis so she gets Vicodin for that." I explained.

"So, what made you start taking it? Stress? Depression?"

"Both, I guess."

"You know, I could get you more drugs and it could help numb whatever you're dealing with...or you could ride this withdrawal out a bit longer and then just wipe your hands clean of everything." Ben suggested. I was not interested in the second option.