Through The Years

(A/N- This story holds a close place in my heart, as it's not all entirely fiction. Some of what's said in this story I took from personal experience, but I won't be naming the other person ever. Most of the dates are mixed up, as well as a few more things for entertainment purposes also.)

2012

"Oi! Oi, Paulie! Open up!" A 9 year old, John Lennon banged on the door to his best friend Paul's house. "Mikey?"

After a few seconds, Mike opened the door. He didn't look well, not one bit, but John was used to it at this point.

"What do you want." The 6 year old joked.

"Is your brother in?"

"Yeah he's up in his room, probably playin' Minecraft alone" John's eyes lit up.

That was John and Paul's favourite game, and everyone knew it. Sometimes their friend, George would come around and play too, but it was more fun when it was just the two of them.

"Really?"

"Mhm-" Mike was cut off, beginning to cough really loud at that point. John didn't do anything, he'd been going round to Paul's house for long enough to know that the young boy couldn't help it.

"You ok?" John asked, concern in his voice.

"Y-Yeah." He stepped out of the way, running back into the living room, leaving John to close the door.

He sighed as he did so, hearing Mike's coughs continue as he walked the stairs.

"Alright, John?" Mary asked, who was leaving the bathroom with a basket of laundry.

"Yeah... Paul's in his room, is he?"

"Where else?" She joked, ruffling his hair before walking on.

And she was right, where else would he be?

"Paulieeeee..." He whined, opening the door.

The younger boy's eyes widened as he saw his best friend walk through the door. He stood up, immediately running over and giving him a hug.

John joined in, closing the door as soon as he pulled away. Paul never cared for closing the door too much, but John always liked it shut. It felt as if they were truly alone when it was closed, and that's how John liked it.

"Look, Johnny... I found out a way to balance the camera!" He said, excitedly, pointing to his IPad that was placed upon a box on his bed. "Come 'ere!"

John did as he was told, excited that Paul had eventually found a way.

"No way! Your cousin's gonna be well jealous when he sees our setup." John smirked.

"Yeah, I know right. We're gonna be like all those Minecraft YouTubers, I swear to ya, Johnny." Paul smiled, genuinely convinced.

"Hell yeah we are." John laughed back.

And even though it was only a bit of fun, they was still convinced they had some sort of chance at that.

————————————————————
2013

It had now been a full 2 years since Paul moved into the house across the street from John on Fauthlin Road, and for the last 15 months, John had been visiting as much as he could, whenever school wasn't in the way.

It was unfortunate that Paul just happened to be a year younger than John, which meant he was in the year below him at school. But then again, that made the times he spent with the boy at his house even more special.