Chapter 36: Olive

I want a new job sometimes. One when I do not need to tend to two bosses who seem to have more personal issues than all the female population in this company. I am exaggerating, but still, it really feels this way sometimes. Their personal life makes up for the lack of mine. 

Beep. Beep.

The intercom beeped again for the nth time and it's barely 8 am.

"Yes Sir Mew?" I said with my usual bubbly self.

"Has Gulf arrived?" He asked again.

"Not yet Sir." I said again.

"How is the repainting going on?" He asked.

"Ummm, the smell of the paint is too strong Sir, but I already made sure that the meeting rooms in this floor won't be occupied today." There is a repainting going on in Sir G's office. I woke up at 6 am to arrange everything as instructed by my dear boss.

Just then, the elevator opened. I smiled at the sulky occupant.

"Good Morning Sir G. It's a very bright morning today." I said effort to lift his mood very much evident.

"Uhm." That's it? That's his reply? He stopped suddenly halfway to his office. "What's that strong smell?" 

"Oh yeah. Today, there is a repainting job in your office Sir so you won't be able to occupy it." I said.

"So where will I be staying then?" He asked.

"Your office desk is transferred to Sir Mew's office. His office is big enough for both of you." I said, my smile unwavering.

His face just turned from sulky to I'm-so-done, "I'll stay at one of the meeting rooms then."

"Oh, they're fully booked starting at 9 am Sir." Sir Mew told me to tell him this in case Sir G mentions it.

Gulf stood still in front of my desk looking at Mew's office.  After a few minutes, he walked to Sir Mew's office, then he stopped again, then he went back to me. "Yes Sir G?"

"What's Mew's mood today Olive?" He asked.

"He looks very remorseful today Sir." I said.

"I see." Sir G said looking stricken too.

"Aren't you going in Sir?" I asked anxious for him to get in already so I can have my peace.

"What's my schedule today Olive?" He asked all of a sudden.

I looked at his calendar, "Ummm, you only have two meetings in the morning with our partners, the afternoon is free." 

"Call the partners, I'll go to their office instead. Send me their addresses. Call them asap before they waste their time going here." He said going back to the elevator.

Oh no! "Wait Sir G." He turned back, "Won't you at least go say hi to Sir Mew?"

"No. He will understand why. If he asks, tell him my schedule and that I'll work from home this afternoon." Then he went ahead to the elevator.

I stood up and went to Sir Mew's office to report as fast as I can.

I entered without knocking. Sir Mew has his head between his hands resting on the desk. "Sir Mew?" He looked up.

"Yes?" He said. He looks like the world is on his shoulders.

"Ummm, Sir G was just here. You still might be able to reach him, he's in the elevator." i said in a hurry.

Sir Mew stood up right away and went out to chase Gulf. I followed.

Unfortunately,  the elevator is already on it's way down to the first floor.

Sir Mew turned to me, "What did he say Olive?"

"I told him he can stay at your office Sir but he said he'll go to the partners for the meeting instead. Then this afternoon, he'll be working from home." I said, feeling bad just seeing Sir Mew so down.

Sir Mew went back to his office with his shoulders drooped. What happened between them?

While doing my usual work and making sure that Sir G's meeting attendees are informed of the changes, I thought about Sir Mew and Sir G's current status. I had been a witness to how their relationship progressed. From the time when Sir Mew wanted to give Sir G camera lenses which I fought tooth and nail to buy because there were only two left in the store and both were already reserved. On Sir G's first week here, I bought coffee every morning and was so thrilled reading love notes from Sir Mew when he wanted it posted in the coffee cups. I witnessed Sir G's persistence when he wanted to talk to Mew the eve of the teambuilding. I have seen his face drop when he asked about Sir Jeremy.... Shit! Could this be about him? Oh no!

Then I thought about it hard and came to a huge realization. I am 100% sure this is about Sir Jeremy. This is the reason why Sir Mew wants the office repainted. I am a genuis!

Just then the office phone rang. 

"Hello? Bended Incorporated,how may I help you?"

"Hi! Ummm, is Gulf there?" 

I raised my brow, "Good morning Ma'am, may I ask if you have an appointment so I can check with Sir Gulf's calendar?" 

"Ummm. I don't. I can't reach him on his phone so I took a chance calling him through this number." She said.

"May I know who's calling so I can relay it to him?" I asked.

"Can you please tell him Diane called?" 

Diane, that's the girl who came here when I saw Sir G kneeling in front of Sir Mew in his office. "I'll let him know Ma'am."

I ended the call. Not even a minute later, it rang again.

"Hello? Bended Incorporated, how can I help you?"

"Is this Olive?"

Hmmm. "Yes speaking, may I know who's on the line?"

"Hi Olive! This is Jeremy. I tried calling Mew, he's unreachable." 

I rolled my eyes. Ain't it obvious why my bosses phones are all unreachable? "Let me get back to you Sir. One moment please." I muted the phone and pressed the intercom.

"Yes Olive?" Sir Mew said.

"Umm, Sir Jeremy is on the phone, can I patch him through Sir?" I asked.

Silence...... "No. You can tell him I'm preoccupied and when he calls up again, better cook up some excuses."  

I am 1 million percent sure now that it's about Jeremy."Noted Sir." 

"Hello Sir Jeremy?" I went back to Sir Jeremy.

"Yes Olive?" He said.

"Sir Mew just went to go to a meeting. He can't take your call right now."

"I see." pause..."Well, ummm, thanks Olive. Great hearing from you."

"You too Sir, have a great day ahead." I said very much curious as to what's going on right now.