Chapter 3: Gulf

Author's Note: I had to change their last names since the setting is not necessarily Thailand.  It's now Mew Bennett and Gulf McQueen. :-)

-----------------------------------------------------

30 minutes into the event with my smile plastered to my face, "Fuck it! I'm done here." I stood up from where I was sitting and tried to find an exit when --------

From afar, the emcee said, "We also have with us the heir of McQueen Enterprises to hopefully help us raise some money in this event for our workers across all regions."

More than 100 people looked at my exiting figure. I turned around, faced the stage and smiled at the guests. This is clearly an ambush, my father didn't mention anything about this.

The emcee continued, "Our heir here graduated Business Management from Cranfield University in the UK, one of the top Management schools in the world and just came back to the region a week ago. Let's welcome him back." Everyone clapped and looked at me with curiosity in their eyes.

What the actual fuck did my dad do?! Where is he? Don't panic Gulf, don't panic.

The emcee who is clueless at the turmoil his speech is causing just continued on digging my grave, "Sir, would you like to come up to say something?"

Sure, let me just kill myself now. I went to the stage because I am still my father's son and because Cranfield University was quite expensive. In short, I have no choice.

The emcee handed the microphone and smiled. I pierced him with a deadly stare. I'll deal with you later, motherfucker.

"Good evening to all our board members and special guests. I'm not really sure what I'm doing in this stage. I wasn't briefed before hand and I'm sure you're all wondering as well so I'll make this short, let's reserve business speeches in the boardroom."Then I smiled, the one I use to charm all the ladies. I heard laughter. "This fund raising event is done for our loyal employees who stayed with the company. I understand that tonight we all want to have a good time but I hope you will also be generous enough and participate in the activities setup tonight, because behind the success of this company are our employees who painstakingly worked hard for us to reach where we are now. Thank you." I hear thunderous applause.

"Thank you Sir, short and meaningful. You've heard it our honored guests, let's enjoy and give back as much as we can." That was the emcee concluding my speech.

It's not that I do not know how to act in these events, I just refuse to. The less my father knows about what I can do, the more chances I get to do my own thing.

"Son, that was brilliant." My father said at the side of the stage.

"So now you show yourself." I said gritting my teeth. I am still smiling since everyone can still see me.

"I needed to lure you out." He isn't even fazed nor guilty. How can I forget how cunning he can be sometimes.

"I still haven't changed my mind though. I will not work for the company." I said adamantly.

"Let's see Son. Let's see." Then he left me to go up the stage and open the auction.

I was at the side of the stage listening to him speak since it would be rude to go out at this time. Business ethics is also taught at school. Of course, I wouldn't do anything that might look bad for the company and our reputation.

Then my father just nailed me to the coffin. "------- To show my sincerest thanks to everyone who came here tonight, I will start the auction with my son."

Huh? I looked at my father confused.

"Come here Son." I came up the stage beside him, hiding my confusion. "You know Gulf has always been an artist. Aside from his business degree, he is also a great photographer. For five days, the one who wins the bidding can enjoy his services." I looked at my dad, speechless. Why didn't I see this coming? My dad looked at me, pressed my arm then went off the stage, leaving me frozen.

The emcee continued on, "Well, that's a nice surprise. We can start with the bidding for 10,000 dollars. Wow, I see a lot of hands in the air."

The emcee kept talking, "300 thousand, 350----. I see a hand for 400 thousand." It was a daze, before I know it someone said, "1 million dollars"

Who said that? I looked at the guests. There was silence across the hall, all searching for the person who spoke. Who the fuck would want my pictures for that amount? Am I going to shoot nude photos? Or take shots that are life threatening which would require me to suspend myself in tall buildings?

The emcee said, "Sir please show yourself so we know you're serious."

Then I see someone step out on the far corner of the hall, "I'm serious." He wasn't even shouting but everyone heard his voice.

The emcee said, "Mr Bennett. Thank you for attending the event."

I looked at the emcee. Who is Mr. Bennett?

The emcee, as if hearing me said, "Mr Bennett is the owner and CEO of Bended Incorporated, a new but very successful online venture for different raw materials. I think you all know that." I hear a lot of applause and laughter. So I am the only one who doesn't know this man.

The emcee looked at me, "Sir, thank you for being a sport in the auction. I hope you enjoy the five days with Mr Bennett."

I bowed my head, went down the stage, then I went directly to the backstage, to the exit, to a fucking garden. Ethics be damned. This night just became a nightmare. I exhaled the deepest breath I was holding. If only murder isn't a crime I would have already killed two people tonight. I'm not even joking.

"Not even a thank you?" Someone said behind my back.

I turned to see Mr Bennett with his hands in his pocket. "Thank you Mr Bennett." I said. Then I tried to light a cigarette.

"That's a bad habit."

I looked at him, "My habits is not included in the 1 million dollars you paid."

He looked at me, "Go ahead then. And by the way, call me Mew."

"Mew. I hope you don't mind, I want to be left alone."

He bowed his head and retreated.