Chapter 27: Gulf

"Stop staring at our scores." Mew said behind my back while putting the dishes in the sink. We just had our dinner.

I am staring at the small whiteboard attached to my refrigerator trying to figure out how to up my score. It's been more than a week since our last serious conversation about Jeremy and Diane. It's been smooth sailing ever since. Every night now, Mew stays for dinner then goes home before midnight. This is our new routine. I figured that as long as I stay away from Diane, Mew is going to stay away from Jeremy, so all week, I have been putting Diane off.

After Mew placed the dishes in the sink, he stood beside me and also looked at the scores. He crossed his arms in his chest. "You can pick the game tonight Gulf." Then he went back to the sink and washed the dishes.

"I don't understand how I can lose four times in a monopoly game Mew." I leaned my hip close to the sink and watched him wash the dishes while I think about another game where I am better than him. "I'm good at Wood Block Tower Game but we do not have it right now."

"Then we can play that game next then. Olive will buy." Mew said while rinsing the plates. He handed me the plates and I put them in the cupboard.

I fished out my phone and checked for online board games. "Game of the Generals then?" I smiled. I remember being good at this game.

Mew looked at me and said, "That's a game of strategy Gulf."

I raised my brow, "Are you saying I'm not good with strategy?"

He smiled and shook his head and handed me the washed mugs, "I'm just saying I'm better at it. Remember chess?"

"You won at chess because I am better at offense but then I played using the black pieces." I said. In my defense, I am really good at playing the white pieces in chess.

Mew is wiping his hands now then we went to the living room. "You know very well that you can attack anytime at chess Gulf."

"But you never gave me the chance

"But you never gave me the chance." I said complaining.

"Hence, I am better." Mew said. Then he sat on the three seater sofa and pulled me to him.

I sat comfortably in between his legs. Mew is leaning at the corner of the sofa, while I am leaning in his chest. Then he got his phone. "What do I download for the Game of the Generals?"

-----------------------------------------------------

In the middle of the third game, sitting at the opposite corner of the sofa away from Mew with my forehead now wrinkled, "I am stressed Mew." I said. I haven't won yet.

"Me too Gulf, you're getting cranky. This is suppose to be fun. Let's just watch a movie. Let's just make tonight's game a draw." Mew said while massaging my foot.

"No Mew, we have to finish this. I want to win fairly." I said with conviction. Mew keeps on saying that it doesn't matter to him who tops or not but I am also sure that he had never bottomed before. So basically if we do this, I'll probably end up in that position. I would like to be his first time too.