Special Chapter! Befriending Sasuke

~*****~
Ren Yukimura
First Meeting At the Academy

Kakashi just held my hand as he spoke calmly with Iruka-Sensei. He had a long scar over the bridge of his nose, and I just gazed at it. "Well then, Ren, why don't we go join the class outside?" He hummed politely as he knelt down to me. I quickly adverted my gaze from the scar.

I cowered against Kakashi's leg and gripped his hand tighter. Kakashi knelt down, too and gave me a reassuring look-- well, I thought it was. I didn't understand why he wore that mask. "It'll be okay, Ren. I promise. I'll be back at the end of the school day to pick you up. To celebrate, I'll buy you some ramen for dinner."

I hummed nervously before stepping towards Iruka-Sensei. "O-Okay..." I mutter softly. Iruka-Sensei gave me a soft smile before leading me outside. He ushered me to the class and began to speak.

"We have a new student joining us today!" Iruka-Sensei chimed in a friendly tone. "But instead of just introducing yourselves, I want everyone to demonstrate your ninjutsu skills." The other kids began to complain, but I just perked up just a bit. "So, we'll try a basic jutsu. The Clone Jutsu. First up is, Sasuke Uchiha." Iruka-Sensei called out. The other girls began to squeal in response. I gazed over as a raven haired boy stepped forward. I didn't understand what was the big deal. He was a boy. So what? "Try it out."

"Uchiha? As in the Uchiha Clan?" A blonde girl squealed.

'Uchiha?' I cocked my head in confusion.

"Yes, he's an elite among the elites!" A pink haired girl responded.

"You always act so smug and I can't stand it!" A blond boy barked. "Brag, after you prove it!"

"I intend to." Sasuke hummed from besides the tree.

"When did you--" The blond gasped.

"Well done!" Iruka-Sensei hummed.

The blond just huffed in annoyance. "With this jutsu, if you attack the real one--" The boy immediately slammed into the tree, missing the real one entirely.

Everyone began to laugh at Naruto. "Ren, why don't you give it a try?" Iruka-Sensei hummed.

I turned my gaze up at him. "How many do you want?" I question softly.

He hummed in surprise and the blonde girl shouted. "How arrogant! There's no way you can make more than one!"

I held up my hands and formed the appropriate signs. "Shadow Clone Jutsu," I breathe out softly, and four clones surround me, all looking embarrassed.

Everyone just went silent, and the Sasuke kid just glared at me. The clones disappeared and I lowered my gaze and grasped onto my kimono in shame. "Well done, Ren!" Iruka-Sensei cooed. "I see you're getting wonderful training!" I continued to sink downwards in shame before bolting inside.

~*****~

Kakashi just gazed at me as I pushed my chopsticks into my ramen absentmindedly. "Let's talk about what happened during your outside lesson." Kakashi hummed. I squeaked and ducked down. "It's okay, Ren. You're advanced. When I started training you, I didn't expect you to have such a natural control over your chakra." He explained. "You're gifted, just like your father was. But you have the humility he didn't." Rubbing the back of his head. "Your father, well... he was a proud individual to say the least. But to the matter at hand, you don't ever have to be ashamed for going above and beyond during your lessons."

"B-But... The others just looked at m-me like I was a... a freak..." I mutter softly. "Like... They did...." Casting my eyes towards my clenched hands, I didn't dare look back up at Kakashi. I felt his hand atop my hair, and I gazed upwards in surprise.

"No one here will ever make you feel like you're a freak. Do you understand? That Uchiha is exceptionally gifted as well, so he'll see you as competition, of course. But that's healthy. Don't be discouraged. Be proud of who you are." I smile shyly and nod before digging into my dinner.

~*****~

The next couple of months, I became more comfortable performing ninjutsu and taijutsu in front of the other kids. Though I quickly became one of the top students, I hadn't made any friends yet. Everyone seemed to be interested in this rivalry between Naruto and Sasuke. Each day, he'd best him in battle or jutsu, and Naruto would still come back asking for more. One particular day, Sasuke stormed away from the blond after beating him once again in combat. I hummed curiously as I watched the Uchiha stalk away. "Next up, Ren Yukimura and Shikamaru Nara!" Iruka called out. "Don't forget to perform the unison sign!"

That boy always had his hair in a ponytail, and every time I attempted to at least strike a conversation with him, he'd ignore me and go talk with Choji. He stood before me with slightly flushed cheeks, and a twitching eyebrow. I held up my pointer and middle fingers, and with a sweet smile, I approached him and held it out. With a shaking hand, he curled his two fingers around mine for just a brief moment, but it was enough time for me to notice just how gentle this individual boy was.

"Excellent! Now.... Start!" Iruka called. The two of us run at one another, and it's painfully obvious who had more taijutsu training. With Guy-Sensei's training beginning to form for me, I easily grasp his extended arm, whirl around him, knock his feet from under him, and brace my hand against his stomach, my fist inches from hitting him. "Excellent as always, Ren." Iruka-Sensei praises as I step off of Shikamaru and hold my hand out. He immediately slaps it away before getting up and stalking towards the crowd of giggling children.

~*****~

School ended quickly after that. My stomach remained cold as I watched the other kids being picked up by their parents. I grasped at my necklace tenderly, and breathed out a sigh of sadness. That's when I notice Sasuke standing by himself as well. He masked it pretty well, but I couldn't mistake that sadness in his eyes. I timidly walked towards him. "Sasuke," I hum softly. "Will you... train with me? You're-- You're good at the transformation jutsu... I need some help."

Sasuke just turned to me and glared. "Look, I don't have an interest in you. You're a good student. Don't embarrass yourself."

I shook my hands rapidly. "No, no-- I really just need help with my jutsu." I exclaim. "Besides, what does that even mean? Having an interest? Is that like, wanting to be best friends? We don't talk during class, and I don't think you're interested in stuff like that since you train the majority of your time." I mention timidly.

His eyebrow quirked up before his cheeks flushed for a moment. "There's a place I like to go... Come on." He hummed.

After that, we became fast friends. Sasuke usually didn't talk alot around others, but when we went to spar, he suddenly liked to have conversations. Usually about how to implement jutsu and taijutsu maneuvers, but sometimes he'd tell me about what he planned on making for dinner or breakfast the next day. I didn't ask him about his parents-- I didn't dare. I heard the other kids talking about the Uchiha Massacre. That must've been horrible. I figured he'd tell me when he was ready.

Though, we only conversed at school and after, our bond became incredibly strong. A friend for life.... Or so I thought.