Chapter 17 -- The Uchiha

~*****~

Each level, our stamina was being tested. Naruto fell face first on the ground after what felt like there days of running. "Naruto," I gasped out.

"Remember, the others are searching, too," Sai stated. "There's no need to push yourself so hard."

"Shut up," Naruto growled as I looped my hand around his bicep and tried helping him up. "This is no time to be resting. We're so close to finding Sasuke." His energy was low, and he slowly passed out.

"Sai," I hum softly as I turn my head. "Get him somewhere safe to rest. I'm going on ahead."

"But Captain--"

I stop Sai with a friendly smile. "I have to find him, Sai... I wasn't able to do anything back then." Sai didn't speak and I rubbed the back of my head. "This is something I have to do. Otherwise, I'll never forgive myself." I stood up and took a few steps before turning back to Sai. "I love him, you know... And I hate myself everyday for it."

~*****~

I continued searching down the halls. Each door I passed, I pressed my palm against to search for any chakra signature. I stopped at a room at the end of the hall three levels down from where I left Naruto and Sai. That familiar feeling I got around him... It sprouted up and started making my skin crawl. I slowly pushed open the door and gazed within.

"And here I thought you were going to kill me when you saw me again." He mutters stoically. The dim candle flickers off of his alabaster skin and dark eyes. My stomach twists and turns as I step into the room. The door slides closed behind me as Sasuke stands up and starts towards me. Each step I take is mirrored almost perfectly by him, and as we stand just a few inches in front of each other, I can't help but advert my gaze as that shy feeling flushes my cheeks and causes my hands to shake. "You haven't changed a bit."

A cool, calloused palm pressed against my cheek, and for a moment, I forget what I'm doing. Sasuke kisses me swiftly, and coils his arm around my waist. My hands are trapped against his chest, and I stop struggling. In an instant, I'm pressed against the mattress at the end of the room, and Sasuke's got his torso curled around me, a cocky smirk on his face.

"Stay still," He hummed softly, and a few moments later, I hear the door open slowly. The cool, calloused hand cups my mouth and keeps me silent as the door remains ajar. All I can do is stare up at him. A subtle hissing echoes through the room and I narrow my eyes at that smug look he has.

"Who's there?" Sasuke sighs in annoyance.

"So, you do know I'm here," I hear Sai hum. "Well, regardless, I still have the advantage."

"What do you want?"

"Well, if you mean Lord Danzo, his objective is to bury you. But me, I have come here to take you back to the Leaf." Sai hums.

My eyes swerve away from Sasuke's face in surprise as I attempt to lift my head, but it remains firmly on the pillow.

"When I first started out, I did so with the sole intention of ending your life," Sai explained. "You share something with him, a bond of friendship that Naruto is desperately holding onto. And I'm here to protect it."

Sasuke's expression returns to being cold, and emotionless. "A bond?" He questions. "Is that really your excuse for interrupting me?"

My eyes clench shut as Sasuke coils his arms around me tighter, and an explosion rings in my ears. I start struggling aggressively as Sasuke lands. "Let go of me!" I bark angrily.

With a short shove, I'm tumbling back into the pit, onto my back. I gasp out in pain as I stare up in agitation. I sit up slowly, squinting my eyes from the harsh sun blocking out my vision. Sasuke stands at the top of the pit, staring down at me with that emotionless gaze that I loathed.