Chapter 28 -- The Defeat of Hidan and Kakazu

~*****~

Sweat trickled down my body. My hands were burning from the amount of chakra I had been concentrating in my hands. Destroyed boulders and trees surrounded me, evidence of the number of Chidori I'd used. "Come on-- I need to make it my own... Come on! Once more!" Grasping my wrist, the Chidori started to crackle loudly against my palm. Sweat dripped from my face as I held up my hand, grimacing as I concentrated on the chidori.

I extended my arm, and I blew out a soft breath. The crackling chakra started to swirl up my arm, and it was like a large golem glove. I reared my fist back and started running at the last large boulder. I slammed my fist against the cold surface, and the boulder exploded from impact.

My arm trembled as I stood before the destroyed landscape. I gazed down at my arm and grimaced again. It was like I had been struck by lightning. Jagged scars covered my hand and up my arm to my elbow. I held my other hand over my arm, and started to heal the damaged tissue. "Time to get home." I breathe out. I lugged my bag over my shoulder and started back towards the village.

I've been training my butt off on my style of the chidori for hours now. Squad Ten went on a mission with Kakashi. They were going after Hidan and Kakazu again, and even if I wanted to go, I was still healing from nearly completing all the tails in my chakra cloak, but I'd always been a fast healer. I'd be back on my feet in a couple of hours if I rest. My apartment felt so empty. I yawned tiredly and collapsed onto the bed, my arms coiling around the pillow besides me.

I groaned in annoyance as I finally manage to settle enough for sleep when the doorbell goes off. I get up and trot towards the front door. Swinging it open, I glare at the perpetrator. "Sorry to bother you, Ms. Ren," Shizune apologized. "But Lady Tsunade is requesting you in her office."

I scratch at my cheek and nod. "All right, let me get my gear."

Shizune stepped into my apartment as I slipped back into my room. I threw on my ninja attire and grabbed my tools before grasping my sandals and meeting Shizune back at the door. Fully equipped, I started to braid my hair while traveling to the Hokage Mansion.

"Yes ma'am." I hum as I enter her office. I stave off the glare to my father and focus on Tsunade.

"How are you progressing on your new jutsu?" She asks.

"There's the issue of tissue damage after I use it, but it's easily remedied with simple medical ninjutsu. " I explain. "Milady, if I may," She nodded swiftly. "Since Kakashi-Sensei has joined Team Ten, I think it's best to send Team Seven after him, my team. We've worked with him and know his battle style to aid him. We're the best choice."

"That's very sharp, Ren," Tsunade praises. "Just as I'd expected."

"However, we have no way of knowing just when Naruto will perfect this new jutsu of his." Shizune mentions. "Perhaps we should send a different squad."

Tsunade hummed softly. "If I may," Shun put in. "Why not make a wager? If Naruto can perfect this new jutsu within twenty-four hours, Team Seven will be sent as back up. If he can't, a different squad will be sent."

"That's an excellent idea. Ren--" Tsunade snapped her gaze to me. "Relay that information to Yamato."

"Yes ma'am." I nod quickly and leave her office.

~*****~

Naruto stops his training as I arrive and meets Yamato and I. "Kakashi has gone with Team Ten on a mission after two Akatsuki members."

"What? Kakashi-Sensei and the others went after the Akatsuki?" Naruto gasped.

I nod with a hum. "They left early this morning." I explain.