Chapter 5 -- Jinchuuriki of the Sand

~*****~

Morning broke, streaming through the window and burning against my eyes. A sleepy yawn tore through my lips before I sat up with a delighted groan. Pops echoed from my spine with that perfect stretch upwards. "Good morning~" I chime before starting my morning routine. Shower: Check. Breakfast: Check. Banging on Kakashi's door: Check. With the sleepy Jonin up, the two of us exited our house. "You're still as lazy as ever, aren't you? It took forty-five minutes just to wake you up."

"To be honest, I got used to waking up by myself whenever I wanted to." Kakashi explained sluggishly.

I giggled and threw my arms over my head. "Think I should get an apartment? I certainly make enough for it." I ask. "Not to sound like I don't want to live with you anymore."

"Well, whatever would make you happy. Don't be surprised if I crash on your couch every other week." Kakashi yawned and pulled out the latest book of Icha Icha. "Have you finished reading it yet?"

"Yes, oh my gosh, could you believe that ending? Do you think Jiraiya will put out a new book anytime soon?" I ask curiously.

Before I could get an answer, Naruto's screaming echoed over the quiet atmosphere. "There you are!" Naruto cried. "You two are late!"

"Finally, Sensei, Ren." Sakura sighed.

"Yeah, uh, sorry about that." Kakashi apologized lamely.

"It took way too long just to wake him up, otherwise we'd be earlier." I explained as I jut my thumb at the older Jonin.

"Hello! This is our first new mission as a new team!" Naruto scolded us. "Couldn't you be just a little excited?! Kakashi-Sensei, you haven't changed a bit, have you?"

"Already you're annoying." Sakura whined as she covered her ears.

"You're telling me, I'd rather hang out with the Yukimura than listen to the screaming every five seconds." I agree as I cross my arms over my chest. "Seriously, don't waste your breath. You know he's always so mopey looking. Like he's got a big stick up his butt." I turned my gaze upwards as the screech of a hawk echoed through the street. 'A messenger hawk from Suna? Hm...' "We should get going, I don't think Naruto will like it if we delay this any longer." I tease.

"You've gotten way too snarky, Ren! We're gonna take this outside if you don't chill with the teasing!" Naruto complained. I giggled and held out a peace sign before looping my arm around his neck.

"We are outside, ya dummy~" With another shriek of annoyance, Naruto tried to give me a noogie. He didn't succeed.

~*****~

"Oh man, it'll feel so good to be on a real mission again." Naruto sighed as we strode towards Tsunade's office.

"Listen, whatever kind of mission we're given, just take it, and don't complain about it." Sakura explains.

"Don't sweat it, those days are over." Naruto grinned.

"I hope so," I breathed out as I palmed my forehead.

"OUT OF THE WAY, OUT OF THE WAY!" A decoder shrieked as she blasted by us.

"What was that?" Sakura hummed.

"WHY DON'T YOU WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!?" Naruto bellowed. "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!" Kakashi and I shared a look.