Strictly Business~ Sneezy Snouts and Project Partners

R

     Education

     V

     E

     N

     G

     E

     PHASE TWO

     Two years earlier…

     “So, what movie do you want to watch this weekend?  King Kong or Cowboys vs. Aliens?  To be honest, I’m leaning a bit more towards Cowboys vs. Aliens since it combines two of our favorite things into a C class movie.  What do you think?”  Jackson asks.

     I shrug.  “I was actually hoping we could watch Prom.  You know, that movie where it’s taken from all the perspectives of each couple and their adventures while preparing themselves for Prom.”

     “That chick flick?  Are you kidding me?  I thought we settled that Jocelyn would be the one to watch chick flicks with you.  Not me.”  Jackson chuckles a bit as I pout.  “Fine.  Anything for Addelyn.”

     “Thank you.”  I say, contented.

     “And why are you suddenly so interested in something dealing with Prom.  I hope you realize that we are still two years away.  What you should be thinking about is homecoming, which is about two weeks away and you still don’t have a date.”  He says.

     I’m holding off because I’m hoping that maybe after watching Prom, he’ll realize that he should ask me to homecoming.  And then, maybe in a couple years, after realizing how fun of a date I am, he’ll ask me to Prom and everything will fall into place.

     “And what about you, Jackson?  You don’t have a date either.”  I shoot back, playfully.

     “I’ve got my eyes on a few girls.  One in particular, though.  I just don’t know if she’d be up for it since we’ve never actually considered dating.  Our relationship has never reached that point, and she might not want to go there.” 

     He’s talking about me.  I just know it.  He wants to stop being friends with me and actually pursue a relationship.  Finally, he’s realizing that we’re meant to be more than movie night buddies. 

     “I think she’d love to.  You just need to come straight out with it and ask her.  Tell her your feelings and don’t hold back.  And just ask her to homecoming.  I’m sure she won’t say no to someone like you.”  I grin, barely containing my excitement.

     He nods, smiling a bit.  “Yeah, you’re right.  I’m going to come straight out with it.  Today.”

     I want to tell him to come out with it now, but I don’t want him to think I’m being pushy.  He said today, so I should be able to wait the few hours.  It’ll be better if I allow him to ask me on his own time.   Now I should just relish in the idea that everything I’ve been wanting is coming true. 

      “Kristina Walker will be mine by the end of the day.”  Jackson continues, and my whole body goes to a halt. 

     “Wait, what?  Kristina?  You want to take Kristina Walker to homecoming?”  I ask, flabbergasted.

     “Of course.  I’ve been crushing on her since the eighth grade.  Who else did you think I was talking about?”

     I thought you were talking about me, Jackson.  I thought you were actually considering the idea of being with me.  I thought you were ready to take our friendship to the next level.  But no, I guess not.  “Um…I thought you were talking about… Jocelyn.  But that was a stupid assumption.  Yeah, Kristina… she’s great.”