Strictly Business~ R.E.V.E.N.G.E and Landfills

I’m preparing myself for the worst at this moment.  Sitting in the truck with Weston, I just know that I’m about to take the brunt of his anger.  He’s in the driver’s seat, silent as can be, staring at traffic, and avoiding all eye contact with me.  Something is on his mind.  I can tell by the way he nervously bites his lip every five minutes.  But at the same time, I can see the crease in his forehead from frustration, and I know he’s only giving me a few seconds before blowing up in my face.  And really, what can I say?  I deserve it.

     Maybe if I start to cry, he’ll take it easy on me.  I mean, I already feel like bawling my eyes out on his dashboard.  But that would give me the appearance of a weak and vulnerable person, and giving off that impression will only lead to more backlash later.  Or maybe if I honor him with titles like ‘O Mighty One’ he’ll give me a break.  I should be able to get around him yelling at me by using some sort of tactic.  All I have to do is mentally prepare.

     But nothing prepares me for the next words that come out of his mouth. 

     “Can I take you out?”

     Take you out.  I believe that phrase lends itself to only two definitions.  One:  Dating someone.  Or two:  Blowing their head off.  Part of me wants to me believe he’s going alluding to the first definition, but then again, with the way Weston was looking earlier, he very well could be talking about the latter. 

     “Take me out?”  I ask, hoping for some clarification.

     “Yeah, on a date.  Is that okay?”

     I frown.  “Did you miss the whole episode that happened earlier?  I don’t think Kristina and Jackson will be open to our double-dating requests at this point.”

     “It’s not for anyone.  I’m asking you, Addelyn, if you want to go on a date with me.”

     My eyes widen a little bit.  This has to be some sort of dream.  Or Weston’s flu might be mutating into some sort of brain disease.  That would be a reasonable answer for why he’s asking me such a question.

     “Right now?”

     “Right now.”

     “With me?”

     “With you.”

     “…Tonight?”

     Weston chuckles.  It’s so light and easy, it’s almost refreshing in a way.  Not like the way he usually likes me.  “It’s not rocket science.  It’s a simple yes/no question.”

     No anger.  No yelling.  He just asks me out on a date.  How odd… and yet a very girly side of me is internally giggling with excitement.

     “Okay.” I say, trying to hide the smile on my face.  If this is his idea of cheering me up, this is probably one of the most interesting ways to do so.

     At least until he pulls up in a McDonald’s parking lot.

     “Here we are.  Le’ Golden Arches.  Owned by world renowned chef Monsieur Ronald McDonald.”  Weston grins at me.

     I playfully roll my eyes.  “Wow, Weston.  It’s obvious you spare no expense.”

     “Nothing’s too good for you, Addelyn.”  He winks before stepping out of the car.  I expect him to come and open the door for me, like any normal guy would.  But let’s be honest, Weston’s not normal.  So it’s not much of a surprise when he stands in front of the truck, waiting for me to get out.