Much Ado about Cake

Começar do início

The smile finally slipped off Angie's face. " I'm sorry, I really didn't--"

"Of course you didn't," Skye snapped. "Because other people's plans are of little importance to you, apparently. It's a matter of respect, Angie. You could've at least had the decency to call first!"

"Calm down, Skye," Lucy said returning and putting her hands on her shoulders. "So it's one extra guest. Not like we don't have space."

"Where's she supposed to sleep?" Skye shrieked.

"I'll take her with me." Lucy turned to Angie with a grin. "So you're the long lost bride's maid."

"I guess so," Angie answered with a small smile. "I'm really sorry, Skye. You're right. I should've let you know. But just made up my mind, really."

Skye fought not to groan, but before she could unleash her temper again, the door opened and her mom showed up.

"Hello, everyone!" she said, obviously thinking she'd walked in on an all-girl party.

Damn, Skye just wanted to go to sleep now. Where was Jerry when she needed him?

"This is our cue to go," Lucy said, picking up her luggage which was already packed and waiting by the door. "Have a great mother-daughter night together."

And before Skye could say another word, Lucy cleaned up the mess and was gone, leaving her with her smiling mother. Best maid of honor ever.

🎊

Angie's entire body burned with shame as she rode in the car with that strange, beautiful woman. Skye was completely right. Inside her head, she'd just show up at Sam's door and he'd be thrilled to see her, hug her, tell her how much he'd missed her. Never had she considered that they might have plans, that they might have wanted to know in advance if she was coming or not, that a surprise wouldn't be pleasant.

Damn this to hell and back. But she'd been honest. She'd only decided to come thirty minutes before she'd brought a plane ticket and packed her bags.

"Don't worry," the woman said. "Skye's just really nervous and the fact that she hasn't seen Sam in a while is not helping."

"She's right though," Angie mumbled, then turned to look at this new creature. She really was gorgeous, from her strawberry blonde hair caught in a messy bun, to her porcelain skin and mysterious grey eyes. "I'm Angie, by the way."

"Lucy." She reached out one hand while keeping the other on the wheel. "And I know who you are. I have nightmares about that guest list."

"I hope not on my behalf."

"Not really. I made peace with you not coming. Now you just have to bunk up with me and be my trusty sidekick for the night."

"Fair enough." Angie chewed on her lower lip. The least she could do. Especially because she'd rather not run into Kay or Jessie while they had the chance to chew her out for her selfishness.

"So, you from Sam's side or a new friend of Skye's?" Lucy asked as she pulled into the parking lot of the hotel where the wedding would take place.

"Sam's friend," she answered automatically.

"Riiight." Lucy gave her a sideways glance as if she could read into that, but said nothing more. "Let's go see how the cake is doing."

Angie got out of the car too, her stomach rumbling. She hadn't eaten in a long time and the idea of cake was very appealing.

"We're not going to eat it," Lucy said, as if reading her mind. "But we do get a small sample. And then, if we don't like it, we get to throw it at the wall."