42.2|| Loose Ends

The next few days were a flurry of activity as the entire group temporarily stationed in California to make sure Jimmy settled in okay. In anticipation of her time there, Jessie bought a house on the beach and moved in while the rest of them found a hotel near the Agency facility.

The place looked like a modern medical base stationed a little further west of Malibu, in a quiet area. The building itself was filled with sunlight and looked welcoming. As Jimmy strode the hallways with the family he couldn't remember and wouldn't care to be reacquainted with, he seemed content.

And it was all they could hope for at the moment. Even if Jessie had to bite her lip not to start crying when they left him there for the first night, he didn't seem bothered by it. He didn't seem bothered by much, really, but maybe it was better that way. At least he wasn't in pain. And after Jessie convinced the staff to let her stay overnight, she felt a little better, too.

There was still hope in the world. 

Skye and Sarah had officially joined the group, so Sam and Jerry were a lot more relaxed, smiles on their faces when they weren't discussing Jimmy. Kay had to admit that she too was generally happy. Her heart broke for Jimmy, but as the one with the brother suffering from the same affliction, she believed he would fight it and return to himself. He was one of the strongest people she knew.

So by the time the third day rolled around and she woke up to the California sun shining through her window, it was with a smile on her face. She sat up in bed and rubbed her eyes.

As usual, Kyle had left for the facility first thing in the morning to relieve Jessie of her surveillance duties. Even if there was hardly any point in staying there over night, Kay couldn't blame her. She'd be doing the exact same thing if it were Kyle. A sunny place filled with friendly staff didn't make what happened go away.

Kay was a little scared what would happen once they returned to Chicago and Lee Hannigan would be within their reach. Even if that asshole deserved more than the beating Jerry had already given him, she didn't think him and Kyle should be in the same room. Ever.

Just as she'd finished getting dressed, there was a knock on the door. Kay opened and let Jessie in, a little confused that her friend hadn't gone straight home to sleep.

"What's going on?"

"Tom called," Jessie said, sitting on Kay's bed and rubbing her eyes. "He's flying over today. Apparently Angie turned tail and ran away. Again."

Kay clenched her fists, fighting the impulse to grab her phone and call Angie to give her an earful. "What? Really? What the hell?"

"No surprise there. She apparently said she needs time to figure herself out."

Kay deflated, the anger being replaced by exhaustion. "After all she's been through, I guess it's fair."

"Yeah." Jessie stifled a yawn. "Tom's not mad at her. It was just an FYI. He said he's aware his fuckup had consequences."

"I really hoped they'd get back together." Kay sat on the bed, too.

Jessie turned to her, one eyebrow quirked, an amused smile on her face. "You? The one who insisted they had no chance?"

"I had my head too far up my ass to realize that Tom never meant to hurt her, just like she never actually meant to hurt him. And he does love her. Not like she didn't screw up, too."

"That's true." Jessie let out a sigh. "I should get some sleep. I just wanted to let you know that I've asked the Agency people to let Jimmy out for the evening. I wanna take you guys somewhere nice and celebrate."